What's new

Battery issue

JoeyD74

Reaction score
I recently had the Genius Bar do a reset starting from scratch on my I phone 5, since then my battery won't make it 4 hours. I have had the 5 for a while so my typical battery was lasting me until 6-8 hrs before needing a charge but it would be down to 20% by then.
I tried shutting stuff down but nothing seems to help. Is there a way to what is using the battery the most?

Hard to pin down without actually knowing how much you "use" the phone......!!
Lots of calls/streaming HD videos/music/texting all tend to drain a battery quickly..
If you have it...try turning "Wi-Fi Hot Spot" OFF...
Do you have Bluetooth devices that are constantly "ON"?
Just some things to check...you may be a prime candidate for an external battery/pack...
Newer ones are slim and can mount on the back of the phone (of course, negating the use of a case like an Otterbox....!!:()
Good Luck!

I have the blue tooth on but I have always used it. No hot spot on.
Is there any way to see what is drawing the most power?

Here are some tips I use to get good battery life (I've been averaging 30+ hours per charge on my 4s, 5, and 5s):

Turn off Location Services for apps that don't need them:
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > (disable on a per-app basis as needed)

Turn off Background Refresh for apps that don't need it:
Settings > General > Background App Refresh > (disable on a per-app basis as needed, I don't allow this for any app but still have refresh on for the system)

Avoid manually closing/killing apps. Manually closing apps causes the system to work harder and expend more resources when you re-launch apps. Leave apps open and let the system take care of the housekeeping.

I shut off my cellular data when I'm not using it, phone and imessages/SMS will still work with cellular data off. Battery will last me all day.

Restarting from scratch probably turned a bunch of stuff on. Also turn off Frequent Locations in System Services. You can turn all that off in system services. Be sure Auto Lock is set on 1 minute.

I tried everything, back to the Genius Bar I went. They tried a few things, tested the battery and it tested fine but couldn't pin point the power draw. They replaced the phone and said all is good. I will test it a few days and see if not I'll be back there.
They did tell me about the new software update coming next month will be able to show what is using the battery so you can find your own issues if it's an app.

Thanks for letting us know, Good to hear your issue is solved.

My mom and wife has the Iphone 5. They both are constantly charging there phones. I've looked at all settings and cant find whats draining them. Charge sometimes 3 times or more a day.

My mom and wife has the Iphone 5. They both are constantly charging there phones. I've looked at all settings and cant find whats draining them. Charge sometimes 3 times or more a day.

3 times a day? Wow, that's really a lot.. I have an iPhone 5 too and my battery also starts getting weak, but at least it holds for a whole day.

Yes 3 times a day. She did a reset on her phone and it fixed the problem. Its a lot better now. My wife's iPhone is eligible for the new battery offer apple has got out now.