What's new

Battery draining unexpectedly and whatsapp huge background activity

alancodger

Reaction score
Hi, is my first post here and I hope to get some help before I eventually return this 6 months device to Apple and kiss them goodbye.

Basically I bought this device 6 months ago and It had ios 10.1 x and had no major problems with the battery with a normal use between reading emails, whatsapp and some social browsing, nothing really heavy as I work under Wifi and sit on a desktop all day BUT since 10.2.1 I start notice a certain battery drain that wasn't before and start digging into possible causes, I obviously switch off all possible data mobile from app that I don't use on regular basis and switch off ( but that was from the beginning ) Background Refresh for all apps, ONE thing though I found out that made my battery stands again was the whatsapp CONTACTS switch that I put on OFF and noticed a definite increase of the battery usage...weird.. still whatsapp is always at the top of my battery usage even when I don't actually use it, like at night were keeps a 25% - 31% battery usage?????

Now in the last week my battery can't just last 4 hours and I decided to Restore the device with the new ios 10.3.2 and try to leave it as a new device before restoring the backup.

I did not notice ANY improvements and my battery keeps going down even worst than 10.2.1, so I restored the backup ( it's such a pain to re-do all contacts ect ) and my whatsapp is actually now between 31% to 40% battery usage with only 2 messages sent! since I unplugged it from the charger..went down 10% in about 1.15 h with no usage .. any specific diagnostic? Is there a method were I can monitor memory apps on the spot?

Disappointed..would you reccomend a return of this device to apple? Anyone experience same battery issue?

I do apology for this long rant but the Apple offical answer is the usual 'restore' your device and all will be fine....

Thanks

There are many possible causes for battery drain. The problem here does seem to be connected to WhatsApp. I suggest you delete the App, reboot the phone and then reinstall it.

Thanks, I actually monitoring a new restore were the battery seems affected by any process I do by 1-2% per single usage, right now I got an average of 49% Battery percentage with 49 min usage and 5H 41min Standby..

For the record..

Something off the ios 10.3.2 was pushing my battery further as the device start getting hot simply browsing a bit. All suggested has been previously done closing all possible sources of connection and so on..

Battery was more than fine

Went to my Apple store and was told that is hard to understand why the battery was discharging quickly overheating the motherboard. an internal faulty or micro short circuit ..

They replaced my device without further investigations..

Now obvioulsy I got a 20% battery consumption on normal activities such as Reading emails, few messages and phone calls 2h usage and 3h 50 min standby..

Finger crossed.. but keep myself away from 10.3.2 update