Bad ESN- Can I use as an ipod touch?

dukeysam

New Member
Hey everyone,
I currently have an iPhone 3G without a sim card which I use as an ipod touch that can also make SIP calls. I really like it; however, I want to be able to facetime as well, so I bought a verizon iphone on ebay. Because I don't want to use this as any more than a glorified ipod touch, I bought one with a bad ESN (to save money).

2 questions:

1. on my 3G, I had to hacktivate and restore to get past the "phone locked" screen. If I restore my new verizon iphone, will i also be locked out of the phone completely? Will there be any way around this, and is there "hacktivation" for a verizon iphone as well?

2. On my 3G, I had to use SAM to activate and get push notifications to work. Will this be a problem with the Bad ESN iphone 4? How can I use SAM on a non-sim iPhone to get push notifications to work?

Thanks for the help!
 
You should be able to hacktivate no problem but the SAM thing for push notifications is for GSM iPhones only, it won't work on a CDMA iPhone4 since CDMA iPhones are not unlockable
 
If the phone has a bad ESN you won't be able to use any features that require a cellular data network
 
okay, thanks for the help. For some reason my push notifications didnt work at all with my 3G until I used SAM (even when I was on wifi); I didn't know if there would be a similar problem with this iphone.
 
hey there im confused with the whole jailbreaking thing. i tried using redsn0w with my 4.3.5 iphone 4, installed on pc correctly (i think) but when it came to searching for my ipsw i didnt seem to find a thing i even searched folder by folder manually. but nothing. so i tried blackra1n and no matter what version i downloaded it has adsll problems which i think it maybe my regstery on my pc. any ideas or suggestions? i wouldnt want it if it wasnt for the fact that cydia looks great to use and im keen on it.
 
Blackra1n is a really old jailbreak tool that is not compatible with 4.3.5. You can download a 4.3.4 firmware file from Download iOS Firmware and you can use that with Redsn0w 0.9.8b5 to do a tethered 4.3.5 jailbreak.
 
okay, one more question:

So when it comes in the mail, I'm going to do a clean restore. Once that happens, will it show up with the "locked" screen? how do I jailbreak/hacktivate from there?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top