What's new

Backup Contacts to iTunes or iCloud?

abredt

Reaction score
New to Apple. Got a 5S.

Is it better to backup contacts, email, documents, etc. to iTunes or to iCloud?

Which do you use and why?
Thanks, cb

I keep everything backed up in iCloud. If something happens to your computer that is running iTunes, your backup could become corrupted - or gone in the case of a stolen/destroyed computer.

I keep my contacts backed up to icloud as well as most everything except I use itunes for my music and videos. Notes are backed up to my Yahoo account. Most of this was because of how it was set up when I got my first iphone, before icloud was created and I just haven't changed everything over. But my needs are pretty simple compared to most people and I just haven't bothered to catch up to all the changes. Initially I hesitated because of concerns over sharing my info over the cloud, later I just wanted a copy of my music on my pc. Now that I am really comfortable with things, well, if I was making the decisions now, I think I would put it all on icloud.

I can't call you paranoid without doing so to myself. But there is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of paranoia, is there?

I think I read that if Contacts, etc are stored on both, you have to be careful when you do a Restore that you don't get duplicates of everything.
Thanks for your replies.
cb

I've tried to sever my phone from itunes as much as possible after my last restore went a little haywire (mostly my fault) and only use itunes to manage my music.

I probably wouldn't be in this state of mind if I wasn't managing 4 different devices with three different apple ids all thru one itunes library.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF.net

Fortunately (?) I have only one Apple device. I think I have decided to only use iCloud since I'm not putting on any music.
cb