What's new

Backup and restoring from back up question

JohnPyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering something about restoring from backup... So... If I have an iPhone 1 which has John's stuff inside... and I back that up and then I have another iPhone 2 which has no one's stuff inside, that iPhone 2 will have iPhone 1's stuff which is John's...

If I have John's iPhone 1 with John's stuff inside, and iPhone 2 with X's stuff inside and I (without restoring) put the back up from John's iPhone 1 in X's iPhone 2 which has his stuff... I'll have X's iPhone 2 with ONLY John's stuff?

And final question... If I have John's iPhone 1 with his stuff inside, and then another X's iPhone 2 with Mr X's which is empty, just bought or freshly restored... And I back up Mr X's iPhone 2 and I put that back up in John's iPhone 1 then in theory I should have a kind of restored iPhone is that right?

By the way I called the iPhones 1 and 2 not because they're the first or the second just to make it easier to follow...

Thanks a lot guys, I'd really appreciate if someone can help me with these three instances, I'm pretty sure about the first one but not so much about the 2nd and 3rd... I'm not sure whether the back up overwrites the current things or just adds them and I can't really try it to be sure. Thanks a lot once again

That's a little bit confusing. I hope I can answer parts of your questions.

If you use the backup of John's iPhone 1 to restore the iPhone 2, the settings, apps, ... will be on the iPhone 2 as well.

You can't put a backup onto an iPhone without restoring it. So if you want to get your backup to X's iPhone, you have to restore it, otherwise it will still be X's stuff.

Last question:
There's a way easier method to get an iPhone with factory settings: erase all content and settings and set it up as new. You don't need a backup for this.

Last edited:
That's a little bit confusing. I hope I can answer parts of your questions.

If you use the backup of John's iPhone 1 to restore the iPhone 2, the settings, apps, ... will be on the iPhone 2 as well.

You can't put a backup onto an iPhone without restoring it. So if you want to get your backup to X's iPhone, you have to restore it, otherwise it will still be X's stuff.

Last question:
There's a way easier method to get an iPhone with factory settings: erase all content and settings and set it up as new. You don't need a backup for this.
U.u You're right... I totally didn't take into account that you must restore in order to get that back up :( Thanks a lot for help, really appreciated it and super fast as well!

You're welcome.
Not really anything special... Since my brother is getting my same iPhone but he really wants the jailbreak pretty badly and this time for the first time in years I'm not that into it I was thinking of getting a kind of fresh iOS 8.1 and then we'd swap phones but he'd have none of my personal info since I'd have restored from an empty back up... But like you pointed out I have to restore which means that I'll have to update to iOS 8.1.1 which'll probably come out before his iPhone comes out eheh

If you want to get your information off the iPhone, erase all content and settings (Settings - General - Reset) and set it up as new. You don't need to restore from a backup. If you enabled iCloud, disable Find my iPhone there, in case you use it, and sign out of the account before erasing.

If you prefer iTunes (computer), there's also the possibility to set it up as new, afaik, which will remove everything that was on the iPhone before.

If you want to get your information off the iPhone, erase all content and settings (Settings - General - Reset) and set it up as new. You don't need to restore from a backup. If you enabled iCloud, disable Find my iPhone there, in case you use it, and sign out of the account before erasing.

If you prefer iTunes (computer), there's also the possibility to set it up as new, afaik, which will remove everything that was on the iPhone before.
Yep but doing that would uodate the iDevice as well that'd be the problem and iOS 8.1.1 wouldn't be compatible with the pangu jailbreak

The iPhone doesn't come with the latest software installed, if he ordered it from Apple. In my case (iPhone 6 plus), it was iOS 8.0.2 when it arrived last week, and I had to update it. Supposedly his will also come with a different software than the latest. If he wants to jailbreak it, he doesn't need to update.

I have a question regarding backing up my iPhone 4 to the cloud. When I get to the point of clicking "backup now" there's a statement that reads "Automatically back up your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to wi-fi".

I assume 'plugged in' refers to the charger/power cord and 'connected to wi-fi' is self-explanatory but what does 'locked' refer to and how do I lock it?

Also, the first time around, I assumed that all these conditions were met so I clicked 'backup now' and was told the backup would take approximately 13 hours. I thought backing up to the cloud was supposed to be fast. What am I missing here?

I have a question regarding backing up my iPhone 4 to the cloud. When I get to the point of clicking "backup now" there's a statement that reads "Automatically back up your camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings when this iPhone is plugged in, locked, and connected to wi-fi".

I assume 'plugged in' refers to the charger/power cord and 'connected to wi-fi' is self-explanatory but what does 'locked' refer to and how do I lock it?

Also, the first time around, I assumed that all these conditions were met so I clicked 'backup now' and was told the backup would take approximately 13 hours. I thought backing up to the cloud was supposed to be fast. What am I missing here?
When you backup for the first time, it'll need a bit longer, and the length of the process is depending on your Wi-Fi and what you chose to back up. Usually, the first estimate doesn't stay, and it needs less time. 13 hours is long though, even for a first try. Maybe resetting your iPhone will help (press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, let go of both. The iPhone should power up).

"Locked" means that the screen is turned off, but the device is still turned on.

When you enable iCloud backup, you don't have to backup your device manually, the way you tried it first. This will happen automatically sometime after the iPad is locked, connected to Wi-Fi and charging.

You'll see the time of the last backup below "Back Up Now".

Last edited: