What's new

Avoiding issues when upgrading iOS

Shiloh

Reaction score
I'm getting an iOS upgrade right now. If you upgrade your iPhone or iPad, do it using iTunes, not on the device. Doing it with iTunes replaces the entire O.S. whereas doing it on the device only patches it in some cases (like this one, going from iOS 11 to 11.0.1). I've found that patches don't always integrate and work correctly. I know that downloading the 2.4 gigabyte full replacement upgrade (on iTunes) takes a lot longer than getting the 277.4 megabyte patch (on the device), but I've found that it's likely to work better. I found the same thing to be true when I was using Android. If you've already done it on the device, you can't do it over with iTunes. YMMV.

If this is true I will have to update from my laptop next time [emoji106]

I'm getting an iOS upgrade right now. If you upgrade your iPhone or iPad, do it using iTunes, not on the device. Doing it with iTunes replaces the entire O.S. whereas doing it on the device only patches it in some cases (like this one, going from iOS 11 to 11.0.1). I've found that patches don't always integrate and work correctly. I know that downloading the 2.4 gigabyte full replacement upgrade (on iTunes) takes a lot longer than getting the 277.4 megabyte patch (on the device), but I've found that it's likely to work better. I found the same thing to be true when I was using Android. If you've already done it on the device, you can't do it over with iTunes. YMMV.
When you update your iOS OTA, you’re performing a delta update, which just updates the parts that were changed by the update. It’s not a patch that may or may not work. The final result is identical to updating through iTunes on your computer. You can have problems when updating by either method if your internet connection is too slow or is interrupted for any reason.

You can have problems when updating by either method if your internet connection is too slow or is interrupted for any reason.
Not so when updating via iTunes; the entire update is downloaded to the PC before the upgrade process begins.

Not so when updating via iTunes; the entire update is downloaded to the PC before the upgrade process begins.
If you have a weak internet connection, there could be problems downloading that update to iTunes.