What's new

Auto Wifi On/off

imronburgundy

Reaction score
Any one know of an app that will automatically turn on and off wifi based on location? If you don't understand, let me explain: on my previous droid, there was an app called y5 that would learn where I connect to wifi each day and would turn wifi on automatically when I get home for instance and turn it off when I drive a couple miles down the road.

It is not really needed. The wifi radio on the iPhone uses far less power than the 3G radio. I have left my wifi on all day and then off all day to check if there was any difference in battery life, there isn't a noticeable difference.

To your question, no, I have not seen anything like that. I almost assume that app on android came about to try an tweak the amount of battery you could get with android.

I do not change the wifi setting on my 4 S. I turn it on and leave it on. I do not notice any significant impact on my battery. I did the same on my Android.

Interesting. May try it out with wifi on all day. Not used to better processes on iOS haha.

i'm not going to lie mrburgundy lol i was thinking the same thing. coming form android leaving wifi on all day is like going on a suicide mission lol

You can go in to the Settings - Wi-Fi and turn off "Ask to Join Networks" and it will not keep searching until you come back in to choose one. It will still automatically connect to the hotspots you have connected to in the past, but will not actively seek any others. I have had no issues with this and it connect quickly and seamlessly to my known hotspots. It is nice to walk into my office, or home, and the wifi automatically take over the data.

Deckyon said:
You can go in to the Settings - Wi-Fi and turn off "Ask to Join Networks" and it will not keep searching until you come back in to choose one. It will still automatically connect to the hotspots you have connected to in the past, but will not actively seek any others. I have had no issues with this and it connect quickly and seamlessly to my known hotspots. It is nice to walk into my office, or home, and the wifi automatically take over the data.

Nice that's what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Now if only this iphoneforums app had a thanks button...