What's new

Auto silence phone during specific times on a schedule?

PaulQ

Reaction score
Hello. I am not an iPhone user but many of my students are. I am looking for an app that will allow them to automatically silence the iPhone during class then turn the ringer/notifications back on when class is over. In the Android world, there are several effective apps that do this but based on some quick searching, is it true that you can't do this on iOS due to system limitations?

I also read that the next iOS may have this built in? That's great but I think many of my students will be using iPhone 4's and 4s's for at least another year.

I did find "Auto Silent" --- but it gets mixed reviews. I guess I am also wondering if anyone uses that at school?

Thanks for your insight!

With a jailbroken iPhone there might be a tweak out ther ein Cydia....
But really my thoughts are that they should just do it, and if it disturbs class, you at a teacher should NOT allow phones in your class. Take them if disturbs class and give back after.
Or set up an area near the door, and have them put there phones there and silence them upon entering class....

just mve the switch on the left hand side, this won't stop vibrate though but that can be disabled in settings

I appreciate the responses but, unfortunately, they are all based on active behavior. Undergraduate college students usually remember to manually turn off their ringers but do forget. I get a few beeps and rings every week and its annoying. Undergraduates (18-20yo's) are not the most dependable bunch of humans on the planet. No, it's no devastating but just an irritant that an easy automated solution could resolve. The students with Android and Blackberry phones do take my advice and install these ring schedulers. Problem solved for me and every other one of their teachers.

We have signs, bold print rules in their syllabus -- still happens. They do tend to apologize and turn them off when it happens - at least they know it's not right.

As for leaving their phones on a table or taking them away... who takes liability for damage or theft because I am not going to monitor this drop off point and when they go to pick them up? In addition, if they fail to silence them, we have a phone going off and (hopefully) the right student running across the room to turn it off. It's disruptive.

Do any of you know if this is an iOS6 feature? (err... the next one is iOS6, right?)

Thanks!