What's new

Auto brightness

golfinglenn

Reaction score
This is my first iPhone and I have brightness set to auto, but it never seems to change with light conditions. Even with auto set to on I can adjust brightness with the slider. Is this normal?

This is my first iPhone and I have brightness set to auto, but it never seems to change with light conditions. Even with auto set to on I can adjust brightness with the slider. Is this normal?

That's kind of the whole point. If the ambient light changes, the display brightness changes along with it. If it's working correctly you won't notice a difference in the display brightness. It's changing, but it's all in the way the eye perceives it. If it wasn't changing then it would seem dimmer in bright light and brighter in dim light. And yes, it's normal to be able to adjust the brightness with the slider even with auto set to on. That just sets the relative brightness point.

Then it's not working properly as it should dim if I turn the lights out and it's not doing that. I have to manually dim the display in a dark environment as it is too bright.

The slider tells auto brightness what the max brightness you want if conditions allow for it.