What's new

AT&T vs. Verizon Throughput/Speed

tfalsetta

Reaction score
I would like to start a thread to compare the throughput/performance of the AT&T 3G compared to Verizon 3G on the Iphone

The utility I use is downloadable from the app store called speedtest (by Xtreme). It is a free app. It tests download and upload speeds.

I randomly run it around town/around Orange County NY….One thing to remember is if you are on Wifi then your test will traverse the wifi connection…This is not what I really want to test….I would simply like to test 3G performance on AT&T’s 3G’s and on Verizon’s 3G network.

Below are my tests on AT&T’s 3G network in and around Orange county NY

AT&T Feb 5th Download avg 2.1meg/Upload avg 621k

AT&T Jan 30 Download avg 1.8meg/Upload avg 400k

AT&T Jan 21st Download avg 3,4meg/Uploadavg 655k

Test away please…Thanks

Last edited:
im getting average of 2.5m download and top speed i have gotten is 5.4m

My 3G d/l speed averages around 1.8 mbps with AT&T. Upload is around 800 kbps.

I live in a "very rural" area though, and lucky to even have 3G.

We live in Philly and average speed is around 2.00 upload/ 1.5 download. I know for a fact that these speeds are faster than Verizon counterparts in Philly.

I have experienced faster speeds though just giving an average.

Just think about it. What do you think is going to happen when Verizon is flooded with iPhone data access, calls, SMS, emails every second. Their 4G network is going to go crazy too like AT&T's did.

I feel sorry for all the AT&T users flocking to verizon. Soon they will be b*tching about drop calls and poor services too.

My 2 cents

Just think about it. What do you think is going to happen when Verizon is flooded with iPhone data access, calls, SMS, emails every second. Their 4G network is going to go crazy too like AT&T's did.

I feel sorry for all the AT&T users flocking to verizon. Soon they will be b*tching about drop calls and poor services too.

My 2 cents

How can the iPhone flood Verizon's 4G network when it's a 3G device? I see you're just spamming every subforum on this site with this post.

I think what Verizon loses to ATT on speed, they gain with reliability and A+ customer service. I can't speak for Philly speeds, but all of my friends in NYC can't talk for 10 minutes without getting a dropped call in Manhattan. From what I've read, ATT is faster, but has less coverage nationwide.