What's new

Apple Watch screen customization not working correctly

When I unpaired my watch and went to pair it up again it showed an older version of iOS from previous backup that I could have used. iOS 4.2 something. I chose the newer iOS version. Looking back I should have tried to at least see if it would have let me pair watch with the older iOS.
While the backup was made while the Watch was on an older version of watchOS, it will be installed on the Watch with whatever newer watchOS version is currently on the Apple Watch. What you can’t do is put a backup from an Apple Watch on an Apple Watch that’s on a version of watchOS that’s older than the one from the backup.

Reactions: 933
Ok I see now. Thx for explaining it to me. Been a long time apple user and you think you know a lot til something happens like this. Must be the age LOL!! Thx again for the help and hopefully I can get to an Apple store or possibly even warranty it as I have been very careful with this thing. Making sure not to even wear it when I wash my hands or at work. It looks new still as well as I keep it in a case. And yes I did take screen protector off to check for issue. Still not working. I can live without it, but would like the watch to be 100% functional as I may sell it or even give it to someone else to upgrade to the series 4!!

Well I found out that a friend of mine is having the same exact issue as I with her watch after updating to new Watch iOS. She can no longer customize screen from Watch now either. If anyone else is having this issue please post here and also if you were able to resolve issue.

No sir, she has a series 2. But it is doing the same thing as mine. All touch functions work, but force touch for screen customization doesn’t work. Weird stuff!!

No sir, she has a series 2. But it is doing the same thing as mine. All touch functions work, but force touch for screen customization doesn’t work. Weird stuff!!
This makes it seem more likely that at least some watches were affected by a bug in the operating system. If the next update doesn’t fix the problem you may have to send it to Apple to have watchOS reinstalled.

Hopefully the newest update when released will resolve the issue. It’s weird that it only affected the screen customization portion of the touch screen workings. I am hopeful that there will be a fix, fingers crossed, as it’s kind of a pita to have to use my phone to customize the screen now. I thank you for all your help! Hope you have a great weekend!!!

Just to update, I’ve had no resolve with the latest update of watch OS, 5.1.1. Still not able to customize watch face from watch. It’s not a big deal I suppose, just a bit upset that I haven’t had the watch that long and it is acting up like this. I take very good care of it, always has been in a case since day one, don’t wear it while showering or any other activity that it may get wet even though it’s water resistant and I defiantly have been overly cautious with it. Like I said, it’s been in a case, either the catalyst case, a rhino runner, or a Spigen tough guard, since the day I got it. It’s not so much a big deal to use my phone to customize, just that I did pay over $400 for it and it’s kind of a bummer it’s not fully working!! If anyone else is or has had this issue, please post up your thoughts or if you were able to resolve the issue. It’s Much appreciated!!!!