What's new

Apple TV series 4 w/TVOS 12

leemoknows

Reaction score
I bought my Apple TV series 4 about a month ago, mainly because I wanted to expand my HomeKit to be able to connect remotely. I also have a series 2 (I think) Apple TV.

So far, I really like this new version. I love being able to multitask TV apps, although I don’t think it’s bug free. It’s so much better than the older Apple TVs...except the remote. I still hate the remote. I really like some of its functionality, but the touch pad area is so sensitive that you frequently maneuver somewhere or open something you didn’t mean to. It doesn’t help being so thin either. It’s not a deal breaker because I can tell you that you get heard to it and get much better at using it after some time. I do wish their were other options in the remote area, though.

Movement through screens and menus is snappy, so I think the device has plenty of processor power. I haven’t had any issues with available memory. I have the 32GB version.

Picture quality is excellent on my 1080p LED TV, so I can’t imagine how nice it is on a better quality 1080p or a 4K TV. You should definitely opt in for the screen savers or whatever they are calling it. Basically, it’s video from actual locations and the footage is beautiful. Again, probably incredible on a 4K TV, because it is with my generic 1080p TV lol.

The Siri features are useful, though I’ve only used it minimally. I’ve used Siri to activate HomeKit accessories as well as weather etc. The feature for verbally searching and filling menus is great. Also very useful is the feature where you can complete fields for searching and logins with your iPhone. When you land on a field, such as search, you’ll get a notification on iPhone asking if you’d like to use your iPhone to fill in the field. It’s very handy and works great.

Right now, I’m using the YouTube TV app for my local television viewing and Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video for everything else. I would imagine more of the cord cutter type apps will be coming for the Apple TV soon.