What's new

Apple Sued by Crash Victim’s Family for Not Including Mandatory Driving Lock for FaceTime

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple sued for failing to provide FaceTime lock.JPG

Business Insider reports that Apple is being sued by a Texas family whose daughter was killed in a car crash caused by a driver who was using FaceTime on his iPhone 6 Plus at the same time as driving his car.

The driver crashed his car at 65 mph into the back of a stationary vehicle, tragically killing little Moriah Modisette, who was in the car with her sister Isabella and her parents, Bethany and James.

Now, in a lawsuit filed in California, the Modisettes’ lawyers say that they are suing Apple for failing to implement a technology that would have prevented the driver from using FaceTime at the wheel of his car.

The court papers refer to a patent application that was granted to Apple in 2014 for a FaceTime lock that would prevent a driver from using FaceTime, or other features such as texting, while driving. You can see a diagram from the patent application at the top of this post.

The lawyers for the family argue that Apple contributed to Moriah’s death and the other family members’ injuries by failing to implement this technology.

Source: Massive iPhone 8 Leak Reveals Essential Upgrades

Thanks to @KevinJS for the heads-up on this story.

That has to be the dumbest pile of BS I've ever heard of. How is this apples fault??

Trying to make a buck off a deceased human, sickening.

The logical extension of this ridiculousness would be an iPhone that shut down as soon as it detected it was moving at more than walking speed. Say goodby to navigation apps traffic warning apps, etc.

Absolute madness, How can a device detect the difference between a passenger and a driver?

There was an incident a few years ago where a small plane made an emergency landing on a highway. The plane was parked at the side of the road and several people had accidents because they were looking at the plane instead of the road. Their response was to sue the plane manufacturer.

There was an incident a few years ago where a small plane made an emergency landing on a highway. The plane was parked at the side of the road and several people had accidents because they were looking at the plane instead of the road. Their response was to sue the plane manufacturer.
That's ridiculous!
It looks like people can't take responsibility for their own mistakes any more.

Last edited:
It's no fault of Apples. We live in a litigious society. People do not want to be held accountable for their own decisions and actions. Are the gun manufacturers responsible when a crazy or criminal uses one in a crime? Do we hold automobile manufacturers responsible for drunk driving accidents? There are idiots out there. You can't fix stupid.

We live in an age where grown ups feel the need to blame someone or something else for their failings.

Even when you're clearly at fault, you need to find someone else to blame. It started a few years with the blaming of music and video games for the reason that there's a rise in violence.

It's a cause 'n effect of bad parenting and living in the age of entitlement. Sad part, is that it's only going to get worse.

I had a post removed because something l wrote was not so complimentary about this subject. So l must be careful and say nix. It's safer that way. And l will not be sued buy the person who lost his child in this sad way.
But as we all well know it has nothing to do with the Handy.
Sorry couldn't keep my hand from not typing.
Hope this post doesn't get removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the lawsuit, the cold fact is that use of mobile devices has become increasingly prevalent. People who would once, and not so long back at that, have waited until they could reach a landline now find it necessary to reach for their phone at every opportunity.

I was overtaken this week on a snow and ice covered highway by a Dodge Neon. It was doing around 120km/hr and I could clearly see that the driver had a tablet on the dash, watching a movie as he drove. Karma struck, and I passed him a few minutes later. He was up to his axles in the median. Well, at least he could finish his movie while he waited for the tow truck.