What's new

Apple Stores to Sell Only Unsubsidized AT&T iPhones

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iphone at&t.png

According to a fresh report coming from 9to5Mac publication, Apple stores are going to change how they sell iPhones to AT&T customers. Thus, in the near future, AT&T customers will only be able to buy iPhones through Apple's online and physical stores using AT&T's Next equipment installment plan option. Well-connected author Mark Gurman reports the following:

"Apple today has informed employees of significant changes to how iPhones are sold via AT&T and Verizon Wireless, according to sources. As we reported last month, Apple has indicated that iPhones sold via AT&T at both physical Apple Retail Stores and on the Apple Online Store will move exclusively to Next financing plans this month, in June."

Thus, if we are to believe this report, this means that a customer who wants to buy a new iPhone on AT&T will no longer be able to make use of subsidies. AT&T said the following in a statement:

"Our customers increasingly choose AT&T Next, so we're responding by featuring Next as the most prominent way to get a new smartphone at our national retailers and local dealers. Customers who would rather have a two-year contract still have that option."

Thus, by using the AT&T Next program, customers will be able to purchase an iPhone and pay for the price of the device over a several month period (20, 24, or 30 installments) and upgrade to new hardware earlier than before (after 12, 18, or 24 installments).

Source: 9to5Mac

Well, that's why I got my 6 + last Sept. even though I wasn't really ready.
I will say this though, for me, if I am getting an unsubsidized phone then it better be unlocked. I won't go through next. For me the time payments alone do not balance out the fact that the phone is locked. If I am paying 100% of the price, I will get an unlocked phone. But I am in a special position, my plans are all in the grandfathered category and are less than what I would pay for a new plan. This may, however, mean I don't get my next phone with the September rush as it seems to take Apple a few months, in the U.S., to get totally unlocked phones in stock.

So what do you do now if you want a subsidized phone from AT&T?

Sent from my iPadAir2 using Tapatalk

So what do you do now if you want a subsidized phone from AT&T?

Sent from my iPadAir2 using Tapatalk
You have to go to your local AT&T carrier store and purchase it there. The news article only refers to iPhones sold directly by Apple through their retail and online stores.

Last edited: