What's new

Apple Set to Launch Wearable Device at iPhone 6 Event on September 9

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
1091-1409307074-9c214033ac3ad6499c90716cc9c7841a.jpg

Following on from Re/code’s news story that Radu reported here yesterday that Apple looks set to launch its wearable tech device at the iPhone 6 launch at the Flint Center for Performing Arts in California on September 9, Bloomberg has today reinforced this story with its own report.

According to Bloomberg’s story this morning, Apple will indeed be launching a wearable gadget on September 9, based on information from a source with knowledge of Apple’s plans.

Bloomberg says that by announcing this new device alongside the launch of a new iPhone, and all the massive publicity it generates, it will be managing expectations of the new device, treating it more as an accessory than a major standalone product.

Bloomberg draws a comparison with the launch of the iPad back in 2010, when Apple held a specific event to announce that device.

And while this new device will make a very interesting addition to Apple’s tech gadget line-up, and could go on to really launch the wearable tech device market, Morgan Stanley’s Katy Huberty has previously said that she expects Apple to sell from 30 million to 60 million of the devices, for an average cost of $300, which would generate around $9 billion in extra sales for Apple, which would be just a tiny part of Apple’s predicted $180.2 billion sales for the current fiscal year.

Source: Bloomberg

Photo: The Loop

I am willing to pay $300 for an Apple smartwatch (iWatch), but I'm not sure how high I would be willing to pay. In the past I've paid as much as $575 for a non smartwatch (Mavado, Citized)