What's new

Apple iPhone 6 vs HTC One M8

So, if the iPhone beats the M8 in almost every category, why is he saying go with the M8? Just because the M8 is $99 with a new 2 year deal? I tried an M8 this year after it's launch. It's the same screen size as the iPhone 6, but has a much bigger overall chassis. Also, the camera is horrendous. I think they did a good job of demonstrating how horrible the M8's camera is in this video.

So, if the iPhone beats the M8 in almost every category, why is he saying go with the M8? Just because the M8 is $99 with a new 2 year deal? I tried an M8 this year after it's launch. It's the same screen size as the iPhone 6, but has a much bigger overall chassis. Also, the camera is horrendous. I think they did a good job of demonstrating how horrible the M8's camera is in this video.

They're similar. On a consumer, there is practically no advantage of having one device over another, it's user preference. If you get down to the actual numbers of things and using AnTuTu benchmarking, the M8 outperforms the 6/6+. The only breaking point is 64-bit support, which at the current state of the app development scene in experience, is not being used at a 100% level unless you're developing tweaks/unsigned packages to take advantage of it.

If comparing with everything blown out of the water, running a vanilla custom ROM with a mediocre custom kernel with settings tweaked accordingly, I can net 12k more on the M8 than on the 6, and 13.6k on the 6+ without pushing my M8 to the limit. If you had the resources to keep the 6 overclocked and pushed, the 6 would outperform the M8, but would still outperform the 6+ theoretically.

The camera being dual lens was primarily chosen (sadly) for increase light density and back/foreground differentiating focus. Miscoloring can be patched up using HTC's default applications as opposed to high pixel density images. HTC's never been known for their cameras, and was never a selling point for their devices, just a passable spec of the phone.

The whole "Android vs iOS" or "X phone vs Y phone" among any companies is just advertisement. On a level playing field, every device has a trade-off, none is better than the other when tweaked properly for out-performance.

Micheal Fisher from Pocket Now said it best, "Android's where you go if you want extreme customization at the expense of a constant user experience. The iPhone is where you go if you care more about moment to moment performance."

You can customize Android and iOS to the same level, not strictly android for "extreme" customization. You can customize without root on Android, but you need to jailbreak on iOS. Again, they're not being placed on the same pedestal for comparison. iPhone outperforming on a moment to moment basis, that again is not assuming that both devices are being stressed at the equal and consistent level during the tests.