What's new

Apple-iOS/Samsung-Tizen

angeliq

Reaction score
Over the weekend I was paging on my iPad and came across TIZEN - operating system for Samsung devices. Samsung co-CEO wants it on ALL devices eventually. My wife and daughter have iPhone 5 and my son GalaxyS4. The GS4 is now lagging and not charging (definitely not my cup of tea), but off the point. I am of the opinion that the Tizen idea of Samsung will be negative to them. Apple products are in the lucky position of being "masters of their own destiny" as the hardware and software are their own products. Is the Tizen idea a way of Samsung to be on par with Apple regarding this? The perfect development will take years to fulfil and I think Samsung's dependency on Google is now catching up. And Google's "marriage" with Motorola is definitely a nervous experience to Samsung and other Android users...My experience is that Apple is fluent, trustworthy, efficient and easy to use.

I feel that, by the time Tizen becomes widespread, it will be too late. iOS and Android are in the lead right now and any mobile OS competitor needs to bring something completely new to the table in order to compete effectively. Otherwise they're just going to end up like Microsoft's Surface - too little, too late.

I feel that, by the time Tizen becomes widespread, it will be too late. iOS and Android are in the lead right now and any mobile OS competitor needs to bring something completely new to the table in order to compete effectively. Otherwise they're just going to end up like Microsoft's Surface - too little, too late.
You are 100% correct. And the Tizen demos I've seen, shows that Samsung would make the mistake of their life if they switch to it on all their devices .. like their co-CEO said, he wants ALL Samsung devices to use Tizen. In the long run (my opinion) Apple is in the pound seat because ALL the hardware and software are settled under one umbrella.... Google, with the marriage with Motorola, will NOT give to the other users of Android the maximum benefit of their development (although it already happens). And on this forum, I suddenly realise how people do not really know about Tizen...

You are 100% correct. And the Tizen demos I've seen, shows that Samsung would make the mistake of their life if they switch to it on all their devices .. like their co-CEO said, he wants ALL Samsung devices to use Tizen. In the long run (my opinion) Apple is in the pound seat because ALL the hardware and software are settled under one umbrella.... Google, with the marriage with Motorola, will NOT give to the other users of Android the maximum benefit of their development (although it already happens). And on this forum, I suddenly realise how people do not really know about Tizen...

Samsung might have had a chance with Tizen had they started pushing it when Android was first released. That also might have forced Google to improve Android. The big mistake that google made, I feel, was that the Android UI went straight down the drain in the gingerbread release.. and that was the main reason I switched to iOS. Perhaps if Tizen had been widely available, Google wouldn't have made such drastic changes to the Android UI in one revision.

Samsung might have had a chance with Tizen had they started pushing it when Android was first released. That also might have forced Google to improve Android. The big mistake that google made, I feel, was that the Android UI went straight down the drain in the gingerbread release.. and that was the main reason I switched to iOS. Perhaps if Tizen had been widely available, Google wouldn't have made such drastic changes to the Android UI in one revision.
Do you think Samsung think they can succeed? I think they will struggle, as you already mentioned... the only ones to gain is Apple and Android. Or is it a move to be independent from Google? Because I am so convinced that there are definitely people within Samsung that would see the risk of changing! Maybe (now I'm speculating) Samsung didn't want to get in same bed as Google and now Motorola is grabbing this lifeline with Google... same with the Nokia/Windows thing (Me personally liked the Symbian OS and is still unsure if Nokia/Windows partnership is the right thing for Nokia). But all is speculation from my side. I just think Tizen, like Ubuntu and all the other, is a huge risk...

Do you think Samsung think they can succeed? I think they will struggle, as you already mentioned... the only ones to gain is Apple and Android. Or is it a move to be independent from Google? Because I am so convinced that there are definitely people within Samsung that would see the risk of changing! Maybe (now I'm speculating) Samsung didn't want to get in same bed as Google and now Motorola is grabbing this lifeline with Google... same with the Nokia/Windows thing (Me personally liked the Symbian OS and is still unsure if Nokia/Windows partnership is the right thing for Nokia). But all is speculation from my side. I just think Tizen, like Ubuntu and all the other, is a huge risk...

It's too late for Tizen, in my opinion, Samsung waited too long. And, Nokia had the chance to go with Android, but they instead chose Windows.. I remember thinking that was a huge mistake at the time. Ubuntu might have a chance, since Canonical has been in the OS game for quite a while, but it's going to have to be exceptional given the time frame (too late to the party). iOS and Android aren't yet old enough for the mobile public to be "bored and looking for something new", so any other mobile OS is going to have to be exceptional to overcome the hold that iOS and Android have on the market.

Mozilla also has an offering but, like everyone else, devoting the resources to an 'exceptional' mobile OS may not be cost-effective at this time.

Last edited:
It's too late for Tizen, in my opinion, Samsung waited too long. And, Nokia had the chance to go with Android, but they instead chose Windows.. I remember thinking that was a huge mistake at the time. Ubuntu might have a chance, since Canonical has been in the OS game for quite a while, but it's going to have to be exceptional given the time frame (too late to the party). iOS and Android aren't yet old enough for the mobile public to be "bored and looking for something new", so any other mobile OS is going to have to be exceptional to overcome the hold that iOS and Android have on the market.

Mozilla also has an offering but, like everyone else, devoting the resources to an 'exceptional' mobile OS may not be cost-effective at this time.
Your remark that it's too late for Tizen is a quote that I think Samsung should be aware of. My main argument would be then: I am sure of opinion that the Google move to obtain Motorola, was the trigger now for the co-CEO of Samsung to make that remark. But I think he will never realize that remark. to take Samsung now off Android would be suicide in my opinion. I also think its too late, but after watching the Tizen video on the net, I realized that OS's cant be perfected in such a short time. Google and IOS are so long in the game, that any competitor will come second. What about Symbian? Don't you think Nokia's move to Windows (or even if they moved to android) was the right move? Wasn't there more in Symbian to be a sort of competitor to android and IOS as opposed to windows? My Nokia N8 was driven by Symbian, and although the hardware was slow, I was happy with the operation of the OS. Sorry for all my remarks, but this Tizen thing is so interesting... I do have experience of the IOS and the Android (my son got Galaxy S4, me 4s and my wife and daughter iPhone 5), and my experience with Android/S4 is not that nice at it should be...

Your remark that it's too late for Tizen is a quote that I think Samsung should be aware of. My main argument would be then: I am sure of opinion that the Google move to obtain Motorola, was the trigger now for the co-CEO of Samsung to make that remark. But I think he will never realize that remark. to take Samsung now off Android would be suicide in my opinion. I also think its too late, but after watching the Tizen video on the net, I realized that OS's cant be perfected in such a short time. Google and IOS are so long in the game, that any competitor will come second. What about Symbian? Don't you think Nokia's move to Windows (or even if they moved to android) was the right move? Wasn't there more in Symbian to be a sort of competitor to android and IOS as opposed to windows? My Nokia N8 was driven by Symbian, and although the hardware was slow, I was happy with the operation of the OS. Sorry for all my remarks, but this Tizen thing is so interesting... I do have experience of the IOS and the Android (my son got Galaxy S4, me 4s and my wife and daughter iPhone 5), and my experience with Android/S4 is not that nice at it should be...

I always felt that Google acquiring Motorola was more for Motorola's patent portfolio than anything else. And, you're right, it would be suicide for Samsung to dump Android right now - and I think Samsung are well aware of that.

No, I don't think Nokia's move to Windows was a wise move, I think they would have been better off with Android. I think Microsoft 'bought' that move and Nokia is paying dearly for it now. However, pride can sometimes blind one to the truth. I can't help but think that Nokia was facing financial trouble and Microsoft bailed them out on the condition that Nokia phones used Windows mobile. If that was the case, then it seemed to only delay the inevitable.

I had a phone with Symbian at one time and I liked it. I don't know why Symbian or Accenture didn't continue developing it.

Last edited:
I always felt that Google acquiring Motorola was more for Motorola's patent portfolio than anything else. And, you're right, it would be suicide for Samsung to dump Android right now - and I think Samsung are well aware of that.

No, I don't think Nokia's move to Windows was a wise move, I think they would have been better off with Android. I think Microsoft 'bought' that move and Nokia is paying dearly for it now. However, pride can sometimes blind one to the truth. I can't help but think that Nokia was facing financial trouble and Microsoft bailed them out on the condition that Nokia phones used Windows mobile. If that was the case, then it seemed to only delay the inevitable.

I had a phone with Symbian at one time and I liked it. I don't know why Symbian or Accenture didn't continue developing it.
Sorry bothering you that much... lol.. Your remark re the Symbian.. my Nokia N8 was driven by Symbian. With all respect to Apple and Google - If Nokia could up their hardware and kept on developing on Symbian, I'm of the opinion that the three major players in the game would have been Apple, Nokia and Android. And I think Nokia would have a quick start over android, as Symbian could have been bought (if not already owned by them) by Nokia. My N8 for example, was, except for the sync on icloud and the older slower hardware, close to on par with the iPhone 4s that I upgraded to. Such a pity. Nokia committed suicide in my opinion, and so will Samsung if they go the Tizen way. It is amazing how "amateurish" Tizen looks on the videos I watched. People don't realize that the ordinary cell phone user doesn't want to customize, jailbreak or whatever can be done. And Nokia MAPS! Wow. Google as well as Apple have catch up to do on that if it is used to direct you to a destination. But, Nokia was advised... and as you've said, they pay the price. In my opinion, Apple is so easy to use, the sync with icloud is so good, and overall, the restrictions are good for me and the average user. It just make the phone more secure. Galaxy s4? My son had the S3, was armed robbed and phone taken... now he got the s4. Negatives... Lagging, Battery draining, The on/off switch a nuisance the position, always touching by accident... and the paper techs are not comparing with real life usage vs iPhone5. The constant upgrading in the background of apps... his account is booming in the negative... And yesterday it stopped charging.... lol. but I'm not trolling or say it's a bad phone... just not my cup of tea.... The only phone I would have been looking at is Nokia... IF they kept Symbian..... But for now I'm so happy with iPhone... my 4s will look exactly same as my wife and daughter's 5 when IOS7 comes. I could upgrade now, but waiting for 5s or 6, whatever is coming....

Sorry bothering you that much... lol.. Your remark re the Symbian.. my Nokia N8 was driven by Symbian. With all respect to Apple and Google - If Nokia could up their hardware and kept on developing on Symbian, I'm of the opinion that the three major players in the game would have been Apple, Nokia and Android. And I think Nokia would have a quick start over android, as Symbian could have been bought (if not already owned by them) by Nokia. My N8 for example, was, except for the sync on icloud and the older slower hardware, close to on par with the iPhone 4s that I upgraded to. Such a pity. Nokia committed suicide in my opinion, and so will Samsung if they go the Tizen way. It is amazing how "amateurish" Tizen looks on the videos I watched. People don't realize that the ordinary cell phone user doesn't want to customize, jailbreak or whatever can be done. And Nokia MAPS! Wow. Google as well as Apple have catch up to do on that if it is used to direct you to a destination. But, Nokia was advised... and as you've said, they pay the price. In my opinion, Apple is so easy to use, the sync with icloud is so good, and overall, the restrictions are good for me and the average user. It just make the phone more secure. Galaxy s4? My son had the S3, was armed robbed and phone taken... now he got the s4. Negatives... Lagging, Battery draining, The on/off switch a nuisance the position, always touching by accident... and the paper techs are not comparing with real life usage vs iPhone5. The constant upgrading in the background of apps... his account is booming in the negative... And yesterday it stopped charging.... lol. but I'm not trolling or say it's a bad phone... just not my cup of tea.... The only phone I would have been looking at is Nokia... IF they kept Symbian..... But for now I'm so happy with iPhone... my 4s will look exactly same as my wife and daughter's 5 when IOS7 comes. I could upgrade now, but waiting for 5s or 6, whatever is coming....
You're not bothering me at all, I quite enjoy talking about operating systems.

I don't think Nokia could have bought Symbian, I think they were in financial trouble and Microsoft bailed them out. I, too, feel that Symbian could have been a viable competitor to iOS and Android had someone continued developing it.

I was an Android developer when I tried the iPhone 4S and was amazed that the iPhone worked perfectly out-of-the-box.. no tweaking necessary. Android required me to root it and create my own ROM just to get it to the point of using it the way I wanted, iOS only required me to turn on the phone and log in with my Apple ID.

And what happened to Blackberry? It seemed so popular and then went downhill so quickly. Did RIM just give up? I had a friend who refused to use anything besides a Blackberry phone.. she uses an iPhone now. Although I do feel that they should have transitioned to a touch screen sooner than they did.

I'm looking forward to iOS 7, I think Apple has done a great job on the UI. I think I'll stick with my iPhone 5 for a while, though.

Last edited:
You're not bothering me at all, I quite enjoy talking about operating systems.

I don't think Nokia could have bought Symbian, I think they were in financial trouble and Microsoft bailed them out. I, too, feel that Symbian could have been a viable competitor to iOS and Android had someone continued developing it.

I was an Android developer when I tried the iPhone 4S and was amazed that the iPhone worked perfectly out-of-the-box.. no tweaking necessary. Android required me to root it and create my own ROM just to get it to the point of using it the way I wanted, iOS only required me to turn on the phone and log in with my Apple ID.

And what happened to Blackberry? It seemed so popular and then went downhill so quickly. Did RIM just give up? I had a friend who refused to use anything besides a Blackberry phone.. she uses an iPhone now. Although I do feel that they should have transitioned to a touch screen sooner than they did.

I'm looking forward to iOS 7, I think Apple has done a great job on the UI. I think I'll stick with my iPhone 5 for a while, though.
My wife and daughter's iPhone 5's are good, but if I compare with my 4s, it's not worth for me to upgrade now. I will wait for 5s. My knowledge of these things are restricted to what I read and feel (accountant in practice) - but Blackberry is getting a real knock here in my country. A friend of mine is a director in a company with HQ in United Kingdom, and their whole company switched from BB to iPhone. People who upgraded to the q5 and q10/z10 do have catch up to do - and BIS is not available on that - it's nailing people as they must now use their data on the contracts or service providers. And BBM is unlimited, but here the cost is an additional about $10 per month on contract - so, I think they are just struggling. What you said about iPhone and OS are so true... no funny gimmicks etc. For you as someone who knows more it is ok "playing" (with respect I mean this) around with android... but my son "played" around and at a stage started to use the phone for what it was intended, and suddenly he started complaining. I held a Z10 in hand, and was so impressed with the feeling of the phone... but I'm glad I went for Apple. Will definitely use it for a couple of years to come.... And IOS 7 is great - I looks great, and the fact that it will be available on 4 up to 5 is such a good thing. My 4s is close to 2 years old, but I still love it, as it is so close on par with the 5... and with the OS it will still looks the same...lol. And feel the same etc....