What's new

Apple ID Login Wont Stop Coming up

Deckyon

Reaction score
Ok, short history. Bought an album on Monday, it downloaded to the phone, all was good. I have downloaded completely all other apps and updates without fail as well. I have no pending or failed (that I can see) updates or downloads. However, every 15 minutes the box requesting my Apple ID Password comes up, as if there is a stalled download.

I have hard booted (held down sleep and home until it reset), sync'd both wirelessly, as well as wired, to iTunes on my computer.

This is really bugging... Any help would be appreciated.

I do sign in, then 15 minutes later it comes up again... and I have done nothing else on the phone. It never did this before, only when i went through the App store or iTunes app to buy/download something. Now, it does it all the freaking time. It has been doing this for 3 straight days now, every 15 minutes.

Anyone with anything useful to add? Came looking for a solution, not someone telling me to calm down as that will not fix the issue on the iPhone.

Ok, short history. Bought an album on Monday, it downloaded to the phone, all was good. I have downloaded completely all other apps and updates without fail as well. I have no pending or failed (that I can see) updates or downloads. However, every 15 minutes the box requesting my Apple ID Password comes up, as if there is a stalled download.

I have hard booted (held down sleep and home until it reset), sync'd both wirelessly, as well as wired, to iTunes on my computer.

This is really bugging... Any help would be appreciated.

Odds are you do have something still stuck. Brief history on Unix to explain why this can happen and the probable fix.

Everything in Unix, Linux and Xenix is file based. That means every thing that happens, that is important, gets a file on disk. This was done so you could run the OS in the smallest memory footprint possible. Some of those files survive a reboot. Believe that is your issue.

Now the reason it happens every 15 minutes is because you have the "Require Password" set to 15 minutes. Odds are it is actually happen every few minutes if not every minute but because you have it set to 15, it doesn't need to re-ask.

So connect the device to iTunes. Let it sync. Then right click on the device and select backup. This backup will make a proper snap shot of all your settings, text messages and a lot of other little things. Then you want to do a restore. This will accomplish several things for you. Such as:

1) Defrag memory.
2) Clear all files.
3) Inject settings in a clean manner.

Number 2 is what I believe will help you out. By "starting over" and then restoring the settings with the apps, it should wipe the file that the OS keeps finding an issue with.

Thanks Skull. will have to try that when I get home. I understand the 15 minute part, those are my settings. I have the backup going to iCloud, rather than my computer, and have been since I was able to do everything wirelessly. Also, I dont keep music on my phone, and all my music is in iTunes Match.

Question, though. How do I "defrag" the memory on the iPhone? The computer is a 2 month old new MacMini that is working as a Media Center via iTunes. I keep it clean with iTunes and DVDFab being the only other applications on the machine that does not come with the default install of Lion. Since getting all my DVDs stored on an external hard drive and in my iTunes Library, I have run the "Verify Disk" on the internal and external drives as well as the "Verify Permissions" on both. All came up clean. I did this the last time last night when the last movie was copied over. Both came up clean.

The restore process to the iPhone from iTunes does the defrag. Simply put a full restore from iTunes puts the files back on the iPhone one right after the other. That is techically a defrag and file system wipe.

Ok, I will try that when I get home. Do you recommend doing a manual wired backup to the computer as opposed to iCloud for this?

Also, I just noticed that on the album I bought earlier this week, even though I do not download music to my phone, the status of a single song looks to be downloading, but has no progress. See screenshot, it is the song at the bottom.

$photo.jpg

You want to use iTunes for this full backup and restore. Wireless would be WAY TO SLOW ;)

And that may very well be your culprit.