What's new

Apple ID and password not accepted on iPhone6

desert

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am writing to seek help from the community and hope some of you may be able to give me some assistance.

I have an iPhone 6 and since I upgraded to iOS 9.2 back on December 10, 2015, I have encountered problem signing in to my iTunes account on my updated iPhone6. Everything works fine initially and I was able to update the apps and install new apps on my iPhone6. However, in little less than 24 hours, I keep getting: "Your Apple ID or password is incorrect" when i try to sign in to my iTunes account again.

The same Apple ID and password works fine on my iPad (also updated to iOS 9.2). I have never encountered any problem with my Apple ID and password on my iPhone6 prior to upgrading to iOS 9.2. I have also tested my Apple ID and password on my iPhone5 running iOS 9.2 and there is no problem.

As the Apple Care+ for my iPhone6 is still valid, I contacted Apple for help. After numerous calls (I lost count) and return calls from Apple including having to reset my iPhone6 at least 4 times together with the Apple Consultant over the phone. It works for a couple of days (the most) and then back to the same problem: "Your Apple ID or password is incorrect." In the last reset with the Apple Consultant, I was asked to install an app on my iPhone6 to collect and send diagnostic data to Apple for troubleshooting. Since then, still no resolution though the Apple Consultant did write back to update me that Apple is still looking into the problem.

Till today (1 Feb 2016), 53 days (and counting) since I first contacted Apple on this problem, the problem still persists. I was informed the problem has been escalated to the US team but still no news and neither did Apple offer a replacement phone even though I still have a valid Apple Care+ for my iPhone6.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem before? If so, appreciate if you can share with me how and what steps did you take to resolve the problem.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I had a similar situation. I have an iPhone 6s and an iPad air 2. I have no idea why this worked but here is what I did: My apple ID worked on all my devices but the iPad. On chance I typed in my ID using my Bluetooth keyboard. It worked and no more trouble.

This isn't a real fix but it might be worth a try.

Bob

Welcome to iPhone Forums, desert!

A few suggestions, hopefully one of them will help:
If you haven't done this so far, go to Settings - iTunes & App Store, sign out of your Apple ID and sign in again. It's possible that this will fix your problem.
There was an update recently. Maybe updating to 9.2.1 will help with your problem.
Also take a look at Date & Time in your settings. If that's not set correctly, it could be the reason for your issue.
Go to the iTunes Store app. Make sure there's nothing stuck in downloading.

I had a similar situation. I have an iPhone 6s and an iPad air 2. I have no idea why this worked but here is what I did: My apple ID worked on all my devices but the iPad. On chance I typed in my ID using my Bluetooth keyboard. It worked and no more trouble.

This isn't a real fix but it might be worth a try.

Bob

Dear Bob,

Many thanks for your sharing.

I will try out the bluetooth option and see if it works.

However, I have no intention to buy or carry a bluetooth keyboard around just because something is not working with the phone or iOS 9.2.

Thanks again!

If you haven't done this so far, go to Settings - iTunes & App Store, sign out of your Apple ID and sign in again. It's possible that this will fix your problem.
There was an update recently. Maybe updating to 9.2.1 will help with your problem.
Also take a look at Date & Time in your settings. If that's not set correctly, it could be the reason for your issue.

Dear J A,

Thank you for your sharing and suggestions.

On the sign in and sign out option, I have done this with the Apple Consultants so many times till I could not even sign in to my iCloud account at one point in time as it does not recognize my Apple ID or password. During the last full reset (the 4th) with the Apple Consultant, I did managed to sign in to my iCloud account with the same Apple ID and password but no luck with my App Store. This is the part that frustrates me as they are exactly the same and Apple is still "trying to troubleshoot the problem." It's been 56 days as of today since I reported the problem.

The date and time are correct and I have not changed and nothing is stuck in the iTunes download.

Thank you again for your sharing and suggestions.

Hey,

I have exactly the same problem. Apple can't help and I have tried all of the above.

@desert Did you find a solution?

Cheers
Lucas

Lucas,

I am disappointed to share that it's been 114 days and Apple is still unable to fix the problem.

Three days ago, Apple called and suggested I perform a clean update of my iPhone6 to iOS 9.3 to see if it will fix the problem. Honestly, I was quite reluctant to do so in view the number of times I have done this before and the additional time needed to re-setup the apps. Nonetheless, I did it also with the hope that iOS 9.3 will solve the problem.

However, instead of solving the iTunes sign in problem ("Your Apple ID or password is incorrect"), the iOS 9.3 update added another one: "Verification Failed. An unknown error occurred". The new error happened when it prompted me to sign in when the phone restarted after the 9.3 update (completed successfully without any problem or error message).

When I reported this back to Apple and they simply asked me to perform another clean update to iOS 9.3.1 on April 1 (the day after I performed the iOS 9.3 update). I hope this was an AFD joke.

Nonetheless, I updated my iPhone6 to iOS 9.3.1 but both the problems still remained. So instead of having 1 problem, there are 2 now.I have written to Apple and still awaiting for their reply.

All in all, I have performed at least 7 clean re-installations with iOS 9.2.1, 9.3 and 9.3.1 and still unable to solve the problem.

As the same iTunes login and password still works on my iPad and the iTunes on my computer, I strongly believe it's likely a hardware problem and the only way to resolve the problems is to replace a new handset since I still have a valid AppleCare+ for my iPhone6.

Let's see what Apple has to say next week and I will share with you accordingly.

Cheers!

When you say a clean install are you getting that update directly from the Apple site rather than what has previously been installed in iTunes on your PC?

I signed out of the App Store and signed back in. I was then able to reset the Apple ID no more errors. Thank you for the assistance.