What's new

Apple has begun to crack down on developers selling their unused IOS 5 beta slots.

Darkstar2007

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AppleInsider has reported that apple is beginning to crack down on developers who sell their unused iOS 5 beta slots to non developers. Apple has begun closing down developer accounts who have been identified as selling their device slots. Apple has also flagged UDID's associated with a developer account found in violation. Making the device running the beta unusable.

Once apple locks your device the phone will entering initial setup mode asking you to connect to a WiFi network. Nothing more happens after that the report said.

Source:
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...n_developer_devices_running_ios_5_report.html

Last edited:
Wow thanks for this info darkstar. Now I'm really wondering what the people who bought slots will do. I feel sorry for them. Ouch

iCrank said:
Wow thanks for this info darkstar. Now I'm really wondering what the people who bought slots will do. I feel sorry for them. Ouch

No problem man. When I read this it made me think of the people on this forum who downloaded iOS 5 beta. I hope none of them get affected.

I feel bad for those who paid as well. Maybe this won't affect too many people.

darkstar2007 said:
No problem man. When I read this it made me think of the people on this forum who downloaded iOS 5 beta. I hope none of them get affected.

I feel bad for those who paid as well. Maybe this won't affect too many people.

Yeah. I can already see the post from the them. "oh I'm on ios5 beta and my phone just went blank on me told me to reinstall." Now I have somewhere to point them to

iCrank said:
Yeah. I can already see the post from the them. "oh I'm on ios5 beta and my phone just went blank on me told me to reinstall." Now I have somewhere to point them to

Yep I've already saved this URL so I can just direct them to this thread lol!

iCrank said:
How do you save it

Tap the thread subject and it'll open the website version of the thread. Then hit the arrow icon at the bottom right and open it in safari. Then I just save the URL in evernote.

darkstar2007 said:
Tap the thread subject and it'll open the website version of the thread. Then hit the arrow icon at the bottom right and open it in safari. Then I just save the URL in evernote.

Is there a easier way to do it. Do I have to open evernote every time I want to save something

iCrank said:
Is there a easier way to do it. Do I have to open evernote every time I want to save something

Well you can just use the stock note application. It'd be a lot quicker lol. I can't think of an easier way. It'd be neat to have a clipboard, or a note tab in this app for that purpose :D.

Yep, took me several hours of mixing and matching several different processes for downgrading and jailbraking before I got 4.2.6 loaded back on and my iPhone up and running again. It spent most of the day either stuck in a recovery loop or asking to be activated with no luck. Sure was painful to have to resort to using my BB Storm all day lol. I liked ios5 though. The small changes that I noticed were definitely for the better.

bristol16 said:
Yep, took me several hours of mixing and matching several different processes for downgrading and jailbraking before I got 4.2.6 loaded back on and my iPhone up and running again. It spent most of the day either stuck in a recovery loop or asking to be activated with no luck. Sure was painful to have to resort to using my BB Storm all day lol. I liked ios5 though. The small changes that I noticed were definitely for the better.

So apple terminated your iOS 5 beta?

bristol16 said:

So apple terminated your iOS 5 beta?

I may have been running beta 1 which I read was set to expire august 4th anyway (not sure if that is actually true...not even sure what beta I was running but I think it was 1 lol). All I know is I checked my phone to set my alarm last night and it said "slide to setup your iPhone" and when I tried to reload ios5 it said it had expired. iTunes wouldn't load any versions of 4 or 5 I could find. Pain in the butt to get it back up. I don't even know what a blob is but I think I dropped the ball on that one big time. It's called getting in over my head haha.

I can't confirm or deny that apple actually did anything to disrupt my phone, just that it conveniently stopped working at the right time.

Last edited:
bristol16 said:
I can't confirm or deny that apple actually did anything to disrupt my phone, just that it conveniently stopped working at the right time.

Well that sure is rough. Looks like this might be a big problem soon.

Luckily I didn't buy my slot. I'm good friends with a Dev so he let me use one of his to try it out. I don't see why apple would have a problem with that. After all you do get 100 devices. How many people are going to be testing iOS 5 on 100 of thier own devices?

As for selling beta slots, I'm surprised apple hasn't done anything about it sooner...