What's new

Apple care protection plan?

Bluering

Reaction score
Has anyone got any experience with the Apple Care Protection Plan? It is $99, a bit expensive to me, but do you actually get good service if the phone becomes faulty, do they just replace it with a new one or a refurbished one?

I have the plan, and unfortunately, know little about it. I know that I can get free tech support all during my 2 year commitment (a very good thing) and that Apple will exchange my phone if it fails due to their defect. And........... there is really nothing wrong with refurbished items. Many times, these are more reliable than brand new ones because these devices have to go through a complete diagnostic checkout individually and manually rather than the assembly-line process.

And........... there is really nothing wrong with refurbished items. Many times, these are more reliable than brand new ones because these devices have to go through a complete diagnostic checkout individually and manually rather than the assembly-line process.

That's a bold statement. Any proof to back this up?
I dissagree. Never better than brand new.

imo, of course. :)

When you have Apple care you can get replacements after 1 year warranty. I got Apple care for $35 on eBay. Just looked and seller isn't offering it anymore.

And........... there is really nothing wrong with refurbished items. Many times, these are more reliable than brand new ones because these devices have to go through a complete diagnostic checkout individually and manually rather than the assembly-line process.

My proof is experience. Refurbished items are manually attended to, and must pass all the "brand new" item protocols. I've purchased refurbished GPS devices for less than half price, and they are perfect. Others too.

Perhaps YOU can tell us why refurbished items are less than satisfactory by providing your proof? Well?

I have the protection plan. I've used the phone support several times and it's saved me trips to the Apple store & Genius bar. I think the convenience has been worth it and they are very knowledgeable, patient & helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My proof is experience. Refurbished items are manually attended to, and must pass all the "brand new" item protocols. I've purchased refurbished GPS devices for less than half price, and they are perfect. Others too.

Perhaps YOU can tell us why refurbished items are less than satisfactory by providing your proof? Well?

Now, now..easy...lol.. I did NOT say, "refurbished items are less than satisfactory." Re-read the post. I clearly said, "dissagree, and IMO." You said outright that refurbs were better. It's right there in print for everybody to see.

Now that's cleared up, I respect your OPINION as to why you think that. And that's fine. I just prefer my stuff brand spanking new. Odds are, it'll be fine and not need to get "refurbished..."

On another note, however, I wont be so skiddish as to not like a refurb if I should have to get one... :)

Last edited:
i think you have to be skeptical when it comes to refurbs and electronics is the one place to be most skeptical because there is so much that can go wrong with then and they have so many mice circuits.
with that my first iPhone 4 i had didn't last a couple weeks and had issues so they replaced it with a brand new one off the shelf which was fine and i had it for a couple months and when i dropped it the ear speaker stopped working so i took it in and they looked over it and got it working again but there was a slight rattle in the phone somewhere so they asked if they could replace the phone for me and i was a little bit skeptical do to the fact i have had some very bad luck with refurb phone but i went ahead and let them because i didn't want to have anymore problems with that other phone so i now have a factory refurnished iPhone 4 from Apple and so far i haven't had a single problem with it and you would have no idea its refurbished and not brand new