What's new

App won't open on iPhone 5s

Bacchus

Reaction score
I've got a new thing happening with my iPhone 5s with regard to the app for Fox News. The principal symptom is that when you click on the app it begins to load but never quite finishes. The little whirligig thingy that spins around to let you know something is happening does its thing - it spins around - but it'll continue to do so ad infinitum if you let it. The app just doesn't open.

Someone had a similar problem not long ago and posted that the way he/she solved it was to first delete the app, then reset their iPhone three consecutive times, and then download the app again and give it a try.

I've tried that method a few times. The best I can get is for the app to work once, maybe twice, and then just revert to the initial symptom of never quite opening. To say it's frustrating is an understatement.

Has anyone else had this problem? Was it with the Fox News app or some other app? Do you have a workable, lasting solution? I'd love to hear from anyone with info to share on this topic.

Thanks in advance... :)

Do you have an app to test your internet connection? Maybe it's too slow, and that's why the app can't connect/open.

It's also a good idea to contact Fox News, and let them know about your problem. Maybe you're not the only one experiencing this, and they're already working at a fix, or they can tell you how to avoid this problem.

Hello, J.A. I just tested my speed based on your suggestion and it's currently 3.34Mbps - more than sufficient, I'd say.

I've also contacted Fox News twice with no response from them.

I just noticed that when I click on the App Store icon the only little icon at the bottom of the page that works is the one for updates. The ones for 'featured', 'search', etc don't do anything. There are only blank pages. Occasionally I'll get a message saying "cannot connect to the App Store".

That message can also show a problem with your internet connection. I've often got this popup when my connection was too slow.

Is your iPhone up to date? 9.2 would be the latest software. There were problems accessing the App Store with previous versions of iOS 9.

Also, go to Settings - iTunes & App Store, tap your Apple ID and sign out. That done, sign in again.

Force closing the App Store app might also help.

My IOS is 9.2. I've tried all of your other suggestions - signed out and back in at the App Store, etc - nothing helps so far.

I can't see how it can be a connectivity problem when ALL of my other apps requiring Internet access function as they should. My broadband speed is quite sufficient. The only thing affected is the App Store and the Fox News app which I believe is an offshoot of the App Store problem.

I've googled the problem and there are quite a few other folks who have or have had the same problem. Unfortunately, I found no solution there, either.

Thanks very much for your help, though. I do appreciate it..

You're welcome. Too bad that I couldn't help solving your problem.