What's new

Any tricks or tips for using Siri to get directions to addresses is a nearby town?

iphonetryer

Reaction score
I have been trying to use Siri to get directions to addresses in other nearby towns and I am having lot of problems with poor response.
If I ask for directions to 700 Something Street in Town 1 while I am currently inside of Town 1, it works most of the time.
However, if I ask for directions to the same address while I am in the next city over (Town 2), it says it can't find it even when I specifically say 700 Something Street, Town 2 and there is no similar street in Town 1.
Responses will vary from the following:
"I can't find 700 Something Street in Town 1" (I never asked for Town 1, so why is Siri not expanding the search area beyond the city border?)
"I don't understand '700 Something Street, Town 2'" (???)
"Routing to 700 Sumthing Street, Town 826" (which is either across the state or across the country often with a soundalike street name that is spelled differently. Why is it skipping the street located 5 miles away and looking at similar street names 1000 miles away?)

When I cross into the city limits of Town 2, and repeat the exact same command to Siri, then it works and finds the correct address.

Siri seems really confused when you try to use voice commands to go to an address that is not in the same city you are currently in. I can't seem to get Siri to only search addresses within a specified nearby city and nowhere else.
I tried speaking the ZIP code instead of town name and it doesn't work much better.

Is there a different way of wording the voice command so that that Siri does the correct map search for an address needed for turn by turn directions in Apple Maps?

Last edited:
try going to settings/ privacy / location services, and make sure it is on. in the location services menu, make sure Siri and Maps is turned on.

I find Apple maps does not understand streets exist in more than one adjacent commuunity and have complained to
Apple since the beginning about this.