What's new

annoying bluetooth & ibooks problem

RandySea

Reaction score
Probably easiest to explain the problem through examples:

1. I am listening to a book stored on my iphone via bluetooth to the sound system in my car. (It is a 2016 Subaru Outback with Starlink factory sound.) I pause the book for traffic, conversation, whatever. Then I get a phone call. After the phone call is ended, the book starts playing. That is, the previous Pause is ignored.
This is the most annoying and potentially dangerous problem because I may have to go through a couple of screens to get back to a place I can re-pause the playback.

2. Starting as above, after pausing the book I stop the car. When I restart the motor, my iphone restarts ibooks playing.

3. As number 2, except after I stop the car, for a test I do more than simply Pause the book. I make sure that ibooks is not running by double clicking the Home key and flipping the ibooks app up (off). Note that background running of all apps is turned off, too. Nonetheless, when I restart the car, without doing anything else,ibooks starts up and plays from my iphone.

I don't know if this is a bluetooth problem on the iphone, a bluetooth problem on my car, or an iphone/ios problem. What I want to happen, particularly in #1 above, is for the ibooks playback to stay paused after I pause it. What I want for #2 is for ibooks to stay off until I turn it back on.

Well, I just heard from Subaru. The above behavior is supposedly by design, not a bug.

Unfortunately some in car Bluetooth kits are an issue. I use the parrot system which is the best I have found. In saying that Apples new car system would be number one.

I think I am simply stuck with the Subaru Starlink system built in to my new car.