What's new

aluminum bumper cases, antenna issues and 3m skins....

Reaction score
can anyone give me an authoritative account whether or not aluminum cases cause problems with an iphone 4s? there is so much untrustable info on the net, its hard to discern. i am specifically referencing the i+case, which i would like to buy but i am not sure if it will be problematic.

i also wish to install a 3m carbon fiber skin onto my 4s as well. now i also read on various places online that putting a piece of foam on the side of an iphone 4s, on the side where the antenna would be located underneath, will prevent signal blockage.

is that true? if so, would the 3m carbon fiber skin also prevent signal issues?

so for me specifically, i plan on putting front, side and back 3m carbon fiber skins onto my 4s and then installing the i+case.

does that sound like a working configuration?

From the Kickstarter page concenring signal issues.

How does this case effect the signal?

We get this question a lot and there's more that plays into signal strength than the case. Apple has upgraded their whole antenna configuration and should help with any potential signal issues over prior versions. >> iPhone 4S Includes Significant Antenna Upgrades - Mac Rumors

However, as I stated there's more to it than just the antenna. If your device doesn't have a case you can still see signal issues depending on how the device is held, where the towers are, etc. There are so many variables that effect this. The goal for this case was to reduce an potential signal issues the best we can. But with any case it's almost impossible to eliminate them because you are physically covering the antenna at it's source. If you see from this picture >>(i+Case // iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 Bumper / Case iphone4 by i+Case — Kickstarter) we've added some EVA lining to help mitigate any potential problems.

Please also see update #6 i+Case // iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 Bumper / Case iphone4 by i+Case » i+Case Signal Testing on iPhone 4 — Kickstarter

Thanks

Jason & Chung

That is probably the most truthful explanation I have seen on the internet concerning this subject matter and you should read update #6 as well. I spent 4 years in the USAF with 3.25 of those years working at a Phased Array radar site. So I have a pretty good background in the electromagnetic spectrum. Their answer is spot on. Your bigger concern with the 3M skin is going to be the fact you are changing the dimensions of the phone. Which may impact the case's ability to fit properly.

I spent 4 years in the USAF with 3.25 of those years working at a Phased Array radar site.

now, you i trust! thanks for your service to our country! and thanks for your reply. im probably going to pull the trigger on these two purchases....