What's new

After Reading Email on iPhone, Cannot D/L to Outlook

tperk100

Reaction score
I use GMAIL POP email on both iPhone 5s with ios 8.02, and Outlook 2010 on Win 7 Desktop. I have BOTH clients set to NOT delete messages from the server. When I read messages on my iPhone, they are NOT deleted from the server, BUT Outlook then will not download them to my desktop......as if they were deleted from server.....or as if somehow Outlook thinks it has already read the messages.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks much.

Maybe the Gmail account's settings prevent them from downloading.

Open your Gmail account using a browser, go to desktop view, in case you use a mobile device, and look at the Settings - Forwarding and POP/IMAP - When messages are accessed with POP. There's a dropdown menu. Try the different settings and see if they make a difference. I suppose "keep Gmail's copy in Inbox" should be the right choice, but I can't confirm it. I use IMAP for Gmail.

Hope that helps.

Thanks..Did that...My setting was / is "keep Gmail's copy...." . I did disable Imap, but doubt that that will make a difference. Will see.

It would be easier to set up the Gmail account with IMAP, as prefered by Google. Is there a reason why you can't use it?

Edit:
Sorry, the link I posted earlier will not help with your issue, I suppose.
I think it's a problem with Outlook or the Gmail account itself. On the iPhone, you can't do a lot more than choose to keep the emails on the server, as far as I know.

Last edited:
IMAP is definitely the way to go, its what I use on all of my email accounts. Then it won't matter which device I've read it on PC, tablet or phone, its marked as read on all of them but still a copy of the email is available on each device.

Outlook.com's implementation of IMAP is a little funky, but it works. Its just another instance of Microsoft taking a standard and making their own "improvements" to it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk