What's new

AE/AF Lock to emulate a fixed focus helmet cam for video work

adjuvantjfoster

Reaction score
I am clear on the concept of applying the AE/AF lock for video.

I have a rather strange prolem with that.

I take videos of youth hockey games played in small ice rinks that have very limited seating around their NHL or Olympic sized sheets of ice.

There is usually a rather scratched and hockey puck black streak smeared sheet of plexiglass abovethe boards, often some 6 to 8 ft above the boards to keep the puck in the rink. Above the plexiglass is usually a fish netting to also keep the puck on the rink.

A fixed focus camera, such as offered by Contour or GoPro, have no problemtaking excellent videos through this netting or plexiglass. Auto focus cameras, including theciPhone 4S, lock on to puck smears or the netting, depending on your camera location outside the ice rink playing surface.

Applying the AE/AF lock usually results with the netting or smears in focus. The only way I have found to defeat this prolem is to set the lock from a vantage point on the player's bench towards one goal orthe other.

Is there any way to convince the lock to ignore the netting and lock in on something further away, ie some default fixed focus setting I have failed to find how to set?