What's new

Adsinthe or Cydia?

Mstone9942

Reaction score
Im new to all this Jailbreaking stuff...Are they two different iOS jailbreaks? I realize I probably sound like a idiot just wanting some pointers to get me started...With that being said IM in the process of finishing up the Adsinthe install....Not sure what to do from here though haha...Any help would be great!

Those are two different terms. Absinthe is the jail breaking tool for the iPhone 4S (and the iPad2, FWIW). Cydia is the jail breaker's "app store" - where we go to get all the nifty tweaks after jail breaking. You always get the Cydia icon on your iDevice after you jail break it.

Note that Absinthe is ONLY for the 4S & iPad2. If you have any other Apple iOS device, the current jail break tool is redsn0w...

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Those are two different terms. Absinthe is the jail breaking tool for the iPhone 4S (and the iPad2, FWIW). Cydia is the jail breaker's "app store" - where we go to get all the nifty tweaks after jail breaking. You always get the Cydia icon on your iDevice after you jail break it.

Note that Absinthe is ONLY for the 4S & iPad2. If you have any other Apple iOS device, the current jail break tool is redsn0w...

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn
i was one of those that said never to jail breaking,now i find myself getting interested.

Ok I have it working and click the cydia button but after that Im lost as far as packages etc. Do I go to featured, themes,cydia store products? Any of theme Im lost and it always says cannot locate package...I signed into my google account under manage account or I thought so but I dont seem to be signed in. Do I need to authenticate myself? I feel like a idiot

Mstone9942 said:
Ok I have it working and click the cydia button but after that Im lost as far as packages etc. Do I go to featured, themes,cydia store products? Any of theme Im lost and it always says cannot locate package...I signed into my google account under manage account or I thought so but I dont seem to be signed in. Do I need to authenticate myself? I feel like a idiot

After you jailbreak, and can open Cydia you need to let it fully load. (usually takes a little more time on the first load). The reason it says it cannot locate package is because you sources were not fully refreshed.

Open Cydia,
Tap "Manage"
Tap "Sources"
Tap "Refresh" in the top left corner and wait for it to finish.

As for jailbreak tweaks. Just YouTube "the best iOS 5 jailbreak tweaks" or something like that. You'll get a good idea of what you'll want installed.

Just check compatibility with your device model and iOS for tweaks you see in Cydia that you might want to install.

And if you happen to keep going into "Safe Mode" after installing something and tapping the restart button doesn't fix it, just go into Cydia and uninstall what you installed last.