What's new

Adjusting Photos for Wallpaper

JandN2639

Reaction score
I have a photo I want to use for my wallpaper, but it is too big to display correctly on my iPhone 7+.

How can I fix this?

I have a photo I want to use for my wallpaper, but it is too big to display correctly on my iPhone 7+.

How can I fix this?
Do you mean that the photo is the wrong aspect ratio for use as wallpaper? If so, you’ll have to edit the photo so the most important part fits the aspect ratio of the iPhone screen. You can do this during the selection process for choosing your wallpaper photo.

Do you mean that the photo is the wrong aspect ratio for use as wallpaper? If so, you’ll have to edit the photo so the most important part fits the aspect ratio of the iPhone screen. You can do this during the selection process for choosing your wallpaper photo.

I tried 9:16, but that added portions of the Website I used.

Is there a way to adjust the ratio for a cropped photo?

I tried 9:16, but that added portions of the Website I used.

Is there a way to adjust the ratio for a cropped photo?
Adjust it onscreen by using the pinch and zoom technique. Put two fingers on the screen and pinch them together to reduce the size and spread them apart to make it bigger.

Adjust it onscreen by using the pinch and zoom technique. Put two fingers on the screen and pinch them together to reduce the size and spread them apart to make it bigger.

It doesn’t stay as adjusted when I try to pinch it in the Wallpaper section of Settings. Or where are you saying I need to do that?

What’s happening to the photo when it doesn’t stay adjusted?

What’s happening to the photo when it doesn’t stay adjusted?

It enlarges or shrinks when I move my fingers, but the Save button won’t click until I take my hand away, and the phone doesn’t save the adjustment.

It enlarges or shrinks when I move my fingers, but the Save button won’t click until I take my hand away, and the phone doesn’t save the adjustment.
When I adjust my photos, it keeps the adjustment I’ve made. If I find a solution to your problem I’ll post it.
Have you tried the instructions in this Apple guide?
Change your iPhone wallpaper

Last edited:
I had, yes. Pulling or pinching doesn’t change the photo, but I selected one where the 9:16 ratio does. The photo I really wanted to use is apparently simply too big.

I've had this problem before. Sometimes changing picture shape before trying to make it wallpaper helps. I do this by selecting picture in camera roll and hitting edit, then hit the little box on bottom left, move the outer lines around until it's shaped like I need, and then save it, then retry making it a wallpaper. This works the majority of the time, but when it doesn't, and I really want that picture as my wallpaper, I use an app called picstitch and just put a lot of useless crap around picture I want, save it, then I can frame to what I need when I make the wallpaper.

Also, it works better making a wallpaper from settings/wallpaper than it does selecting wallpaper directly from picture.

Good luck.

I usually save the picture to my Camera Roll on my iPhone. Then, from the picture I click on the forward icon (rectangle with arrow pointing up) click on that and then click on Use as Wallpaper, it seems to manage the proper sizing and ratio.

I usually save the picture to my Camera Roll on my iPhone. Then, from the picture I click on the forward icon (rectangle with arrow pointing up) click on that and then click on Use as Wallpaper, it seems to manage the proper sizing and ratio.

I’m using the first photo.

As soon as I crop it and turn it sideways, it exceeds the screen size.

Is there a way to resize pictures?
IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

Save the picture in portrait mode to you iPhone photos section. Then, from the photo you saved, follow the method I described above. It does it automatically. It is possible that the photo width can not be made small enough to include all of the image you are trying to squeeze in.

Save the picture in portrait mode to you iPhone photos section. Then, from the photo you saved, follow the method I described above. It does it automatically. It is possible that the photo width can not be made small enough to include all of the image you are trying to squeeze in.

How does one do that from a Website? I have to take a screenshot to obtain the photo.