What's new

Add free?

DrewBurton

Reaction score
New ios user here, long time android addict now porting a shiny new iphone 5. I am very much looking forward to the imminent un-tethered jailbreak but have very little knowledge as to the extent of possible customisation this may bring me but I need to be in control of my device. I would like to know if there is any available tool that will make my device ad-free? Also, if there is, would this be regarded by this forum as tantramount to piracy as I don't condone this in any way, shape or form? Any help and advice to a newby would be gratefully appreciated.

No, I wouldn't consider you wanting to block ads a "tantramount to piracy." :) As far as the ads go... there's a setting that disables viewable ads via Settings>Accessability.

No, I wouldn't consider you wanting to block ads a "tantramount to piracy." :) As far as the ads go... there's a setting that disables viewable ads via Settings>Accessability.
Thanks for your response and sorry if I am being a noob but there doesn't appear to be such an option on my device.

We have several regular UK based members... hopefully one of them can chime in and let us know if the ad block option is somewhere else in Settings.

We have several regular UK based members... hopefully one of them can chime in and let us know if the ad block option is somewhere else in Settings.
I am not sure that we are on the same wavelength here! Many free apps have in app advertising which can be removed by purchasing in up-graded version hence my 'tantramount to piracy' reference. In android, if you rooted your device, you could use an ad-blocker app to disable these ads without having to purchase up-graded versions.

I am not sure that we are on the same wavelength here! Many free apps have in app advertising which can be removed by purchasing in up-graded version hence my 'tantramount to piracy' reference. In android, if you rooted your device, you could use an ad-blocker app to disable these ads without having to purchase up-graded versions.
Ahhh... perhaps you are correct about our perpendicular wavelengths. :) Blocking ads whilst using a free version game... I do believe there are ad-blockers available via Cydia after Jailbreaking. However, I'm not certain of what those blockers are. Hopefully someone w/ more knowledge of these can chime in and give us a little more information.

Typically if using adblocker once jailbroken on free versions of apps, it may block the banner, but it's frame is still there taking up space.

You might look into iAdKiller as well once jailbroken.

I use Firewall IP to block adds on the iPhone. Works a treat.