What's new

accelerometer stopped working on iPhone4

ccolleen

Reaction score
Hey every buddy. I have an issue and the Apple Genius bar was no help. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help. So, I connected my iphone4 to my old windows vista PC for an update. The update was going well, but then the Microsoft Securities Essential program blocked the iphone backup. I received an error message, but iTunes continued to load the iOS and firmware update anyways. Once the reload/update was finished, the iphone turned itself back on and everything seemed to be normal, but the accelerometer no longer works. Portrait lock isn't on, I've tried the hard reset, I've tried restoring the phone through iTunes, I've tried everything, but nothing simple has worked. My phone is out of warranty, so Apple won't just give me a new one. The tech support at the Genius bar tried all they could do to fix it, but they couldn't fix it with their standard ways of doing things. They told me they would sell me a new one for a $150. Can anyone help. I've looked all over the internet and no one sees to have a similar issue.

It's a hardware problem. The accelerometer isn't expensive at all though to replace. The average factory cost is about 60 cents, and a mobile shop would probably charge you like $5 tops for it. A connector might be bent or the accelerometer wasn't soldered on completely so the contacts might be dangling. You'll have to open up the iPhone to find out.