What's new

A little disapointed with iphone x battery times...

osso12

Reaction score
First of all..... i love my new phone... but here is something i discovered.
My 3 year old loves to watch kids youtube...
We (mommy and daddy) do not allow her to use our own personal phones that have active phone service. She uses my wifes out dates droid II to watch videos on it.
When we go on trips and are away from our home network, I turn my phone into a hotspot and let her phone piggyback off of mine.
3 hours later from her watching streaming videos and and me using my phone with normal typical use, my battery is dead and my phone shuts off. I can think of many many solutions to resolve this isse but wow.. only 3 hrs? Would it make any difference if I synced via bluetooth instead of mobile hotspot? Its basically the same thing anyway.
Post up on this about your battery life. I DO know my battery life is longer with my iphone X verse my iphone 6s.

I will let others chime in on this but using the iPhone X as a hot spot will drain the battery not to mention streaming videos. Your best solution is buy a portable battery high capacity so you can charge it with out issue or plug it in to power When in the car use a cigarette lighter or usb charger I get an easy 8 hours plus with heavy internet use and a few calls. I have a wireless charger in the living room which keeps charge whe in am there plus a power charger in bedroom. Hope that helps

It's hard to establish what qualifies as "normal typical use".

While personal hotspot can/will accelerate the strain on the resources (ie: battery) the combination of what else you're doing on your phone will help speed that up. Remember that even doing something simple like checking your mail, or syncing your calendars or your home and lock screen consume battery.

You will never be able to truly have an apples to apples comparison as every users claim of 'normal' use is different. Even letting the phone sit with no activity will cause it to drain at a different rate than the same model next to it. If you notice that the battery life is poor when you're NOT using the personal hotspot feature, I'd be concerned, otherwise it comes with the territory.

Pro tip: You can actually get a quick glimpse of what's used the most battery on your iPhone for the last 24 hours or last 7 days by going into Settings and Battery, scroll to the bottom and enjoy.

Yup. It doesn't last as long as my 6S Plus, but it's ok. I've got several Qi chargers that are now useful.