What's new

A Brief YouTube Music review

DrumsOfGrohl

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded YouTube Music and signed up for the free 14 day trial of Youtube Red. Then I thought it would be cool if I wrote a review of it. Then I decided it was a waste of my time. Not that its a bad service, but I didn't want to spend time going over all the aspects of it, and weigh out the pros and cons of it.
Here's my gist:

Millions of people use Youtube everyday to listen to music. I have only on very rare occasion gone to Youtube ONLY to listen to music. I use YouTube because I want to see a video, and because it's free. I hate the adds I have to watch, but apparently not enough to stop using YouTube.

Youtube Music is basically Spotify with video. After the first 14 days of a free trial, its $10/mo to access the Audio Only mode, which saves battery life and data, and also lets you play your music in the background (while using other apps, or if you lock your phone). So I REALLY don't see much advantage of Youtube Music over Youtube if you're not paying the $10/mo for YouTube Red.

The one place Youtube Music shines is in the related content aspect. Pull up an official music video from any big artist, they'll recommend live versions of the song, karaoke versions, lyric videos, etc.

BUT SO DOES YOUTUBE.

It also features very good, never-ending playlists. BUT SO DOES SPOTIFY.

I don't know. Maybe its because I'm a very big fan of Apple Music, but I'm unimpressed.