What's new

9006 error code when updating to 8.3

pkoryn

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and I'm not sure where to post this question. I originally put it in the Iphone help section, then saw there was a Iphone 5S section which is what this phone is. Here's my question:

Today I tried to update my Mom's IPhone 5S via Itunes. I also have a 5S and I updated my phone last week, also via Itunes on my laptop, and it took about 20 minutes to download the update and it installed with no problem. When I clicked on the "update" in Itunes for my Mom's phone using her laptop, it indicated it would take about 90 minutes! I waited patiently while it downloaded the update and with about 4 minutes left to go, I got the 9006 error code message. Since I didn't have another 2 hours to spare, I disconnected and figured I'd try it another day. After looking up about the 9006 error I don't believe it is a conflict with her Microsoft Security Essentials software as I had disabled it prior to connecting to Itunes. Should I try the hardwired approach from laptop to modem and see if that helps? Her laptop, on a normal basis, is a wireless connection to the modem. If this fails - is it possible to connect her phone to MY laptop and try to update it in my Itunes? Can I set up a 2nd phone in Itunes or will this cause problems for me in the future when I need to update my own Iphone? I also saw reference made to deleting the ipsw file that I'm assuming is on her laptop. I guess if the download isn't successful, than this file while be sitting on her laptop and could cause a problem when I go to try it again?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, pkoryn!

The other thread you started on the same topic has been deleted. Besides fragmenting the conversation and making it hard to follow, duplicate posts and threads are against our rules.

Please keep any discussion of your problem to this thread.

Updating your mother's iPhone through iTunes on your computer could cause problems as an iPhone can only be synced to one iTunes library at a time. I would try the hard wired Internet connection on your mother's computer. You could try downloading the update file to her computer before connecting her iPhone to iTunes, then instal it after connecting the iPhone.

Did you also turn off or disable any anti virus programs on her computer?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, pkoryn!

The other thread you started on the same topic has been deleted. Besides fragmenting the conversation and making it hard to follow, duplicate posts and threads are against our rules.

Please keep any discussion of your problem to this thread.
Thank you for correcting me - as I said - I'm a newbie and wasn't sure where to put the post for best advice! Thanks again.

Updating your mother's iPhone through iTunes on your computer could cause problems as an iPhone can only be synced to one iTunes library at a time. I would try the hard wired Internet connection on your mother's computer. You could try downloading the update file to her computer before connecting her iPhone to iTunes, then instal it after connecting the iPhone.

Did you also turn off or disable any anti virus programs on her computer?

Could you explain the procedure for downloading the update file to her computer before connecting it to Iphones and than installing it after connecting to Iphones?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean or how to go about this.

Yes, I disabled her Microsoft Security Essentials before I connected her phone to Itunes. There is a setting which lets you turn of "real time security" which effectively disables the program.

No problem.

Did you see Apple's support site related to the error you're receiving?
Here's the link:
Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support
Yes, I've poured over this numerous times. As I mentioned in my original post, I have disabled her security software so I don't believe that is the issue. I don't believe there is any issue with her phone connecting to Itunes as I manually backed up the phone prior to starting the download process. Her laptop is a few rooms away from her modem, and she is using it wirelessly, hence my wondering if I should take the laptop into the room where the modem is and do a ethernet cable connection and try the download that way?

Try to connect the notebook to the router and update that way.

If this doesn't work, you'll need to download the firmware file for her iPhone to the computer. It has to be the right one - there are two versions of the 5s. If you try to install the wrong software, you'll receive another error.

Thanks for the update, I hope the update goes through without any more problems.

To all the very kind folks who offered me tips and advice - I had success in downloading and installing the update using the hardwired approach from modem to notebook. I was surprised that it still took 90 minutes to download (I thought it would go quicker wired to the modem) but at least it worked and all is well. I'm so glad I found this site and thanks again for the quick responses!

Thank you for letting us know that the offered advice helped solve your problem. It's nice to hear about the success stories. It may also help other members with the same problem.