What's new

6 screen death spiral;

janebarrett581

Reaction score
Dissapointed. Bought brand new 6/16g for $400. Here it is only 5 months later and my screen started flickering and now has small alternating dark/light gray bars going horizontally across my phone. From what I can tell and read on other forums, it will soon die. Fixing it takes $300.

Didn't buy Apple coverage as I didn't want to pay $400 much never mind 525 or whatever coverage costs.

Why would I want to buy another apple iPhone? This one is pristine and well cared for.
Any options?

Dissapointed. Bought brand new 6/16g for $400. Here it is only 5 months later and my screen started flickering and now has small alternating dark/light gray bars going horizontally across my phone. From what I can tell and read on other forums, it will soon die. Fixing it takes $300.

Didn't buy Apple coverage as I didn't want to pay $400 much never mind 525 or whatever coverage costs.

Why would I want to buy another apple iPhone? This one is pristine and well cared for.
Any options?
The standard warranty is good for 1 year after after purchase. I'd take it to an Apple Store for a diagnostic at the Genius Bar. If there is a hardware fault, it should be covered.

Does the touchscreen still work normally when the screen is flickering and shows those lines? There is a known problem with some iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models caused by the failure of the touch IC chip. It's been called touch disease and will eventually get worse to the point where the iPhone becomes unusable. Multi-Touch Repair Program for iPhone 6 Plus - Apple Support
Most of the affected iPhones were the 6 Plus models but some iPhone 6 models were affected as well. The policy may also apply to similarly affected iPhone 6 models. Contact Apple for confirmation.

Apple charges $149.00 to repair this problem if the warranty has expired.

Last edited: