What's new

5c

shrimp64

Reaction score
hi, hubby bought iPhone 5C about 18 months ago, used it with Tesco & Giffgaff sims in it -no probs at all-now he's changed to 3, kept old Tesco No. got a "Carrier Update Settings" pop up so went with it now his phone won't work whatever sim he puts in it.
Settings shows no Carrier button & there is no info of his name/number or passwords etc.
The 3 sim works fine in my phone.
His phone will do everything but use the sim, it alternates between the signal strength & 3 and searching in top left corner of screen but won't send/receive or go online.
Has it got a bug or?

Has he tried restarting his iPhone? Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons until the iPhone restarts. This is what I do when switching SIM cards on my iPhone.

I read that post but did not know what to reply, but l'd done it only a few days before, and had to do exactly what you posted.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

Done that-several times. The pop up appears to have been a bug as the phone won't work with any sim now!

Not sure that it would be a good idea to back it up if it has a bug!
Going to try restoring it from an earlier time.

Not sure that it would be a good idea to back it up if it has a bug!
Going to try restoring it from an earlier time.
If that doesn't work, there's the possibility of a hardware problem. If you have an Apple Store close enough to visit you could make a Genius Bar appointment to have a full diagnostic run. This should find the source of the problem. If the problem is software related they can usually fix it for free and if it's a hardware issue, they'll tell you the cost of an out of warranty repair if your warranty and AppleCare+ have expired.

The backup is important if the problem is not a software bug, in which case it can be safely used to restore a repaired or replacement iPhone.

Thank you all for all the suggestions.
We restored from an earlier time through PC and its fine now.
We think a carrier settings update from 3 got 'stuck' !