What's new

4s factory reset

Drmax

Reaction score
I loaded ios 8 on a iphone 4s, (like a dummy) and is running like crap. Anyone know if a reset of the phone, which there is a button for in settings, will make phone like new, outta the box, with older OS? Guy from at&t seemed to think so. That would be the only way I would feel comfortable, trying. Not about to figure out how to download some operating system, and then "hope" it'll work. Thx for any help. DM

At the moment of this post, you can still restore to iOS 7.1.2. You can download the 7.1.2 IPSW for the iPhone 4S here, then hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click the Restore button in iTunes, and point iTunes to the IPSW that you've downloaded.

Do note that if you make a backup on iOS 8, your backup cannot be used directly with iOS 7 as Apple does not support backwards compatibility with regards to backed up data as they may call on different APIs and can potentially break your device. If you've made a backup prior to upgrading to iOS 8, then you may use that. Otherwise, you'll need to create a dirty backup off of the iOS 8 backup so that you can restore the data back onto your device after downgrading it to 7.1.2.

At the moment of this post, you can still restore to iOS 7.1.2. You can download the 7.1.2 IPSW for the iPhone 4S here, then hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click the Restore button in iTunes, and point iTunes to the IPSW that you've downloaded.

Do note that if you make a backup on iOS 8, your backup cannot be used directly with iOS 7 as Apple does not support backwards compatibility with regards to backed up data as they may call on different APIs and can potentially break your device. If you've made a backup prior to upgrading to iOS 8, then you may use that. Otherwise, you'll need to create a dirty backup off of the iOS 8 backup so that you can restore the data back onto your device after downgrading it to 7.1.2.
I did back up my device with iOS eight installed, however I am upgrading to a six. I am giving my son the 4s I just wanted to make sure that he had a good operating phone. My intention after I get the six is then to go to iCloud and restore my new phone with the settings that I had backed up that should be no problem because the six has iOS 8 in it. Your thoughts?

That's fine since you're backing up iOS 8 to an iOS 8 device once you get it. If that's the case, you can just restore using the method above without having to restore a backup. Just set the device up as new and you're good to go after the restore.

I'm sorry, but won't just a "phone reset", undersettings, bring the phone back to it's original state, or will it maintain the ios8 that I had installed? If I have to download something, that means I have to run iTunes on my window pc. They do not like each other. I had a hassle with this yesterday and removed it. Just not worth the headache. Please advise. thx for your time, Greg

Factory resetting through Settings will bring it to a vanilla iOS 8, though if you've updated the phone from iOS 7 to iOS 8 using Settings or the Update feature (not the Restore feature) in iTunes, you'll most likely run into a few problems with the factory reset feature in Settings as your device is not completely iOS 8 due to the fact that it's been OTA updated. You can attempt it, but more than likely your device may end up in a boot loop because it's attempting to restore to iOS 8 vanilla when the base is really iOS 7 vanilla (not sure if that makes any sense).

I agree, iTunes is an extremely cumbersome piece of software on Windows, though it's a much better experience on Mac. An easy solution would be to place the device into DFU mode, and just restore, and once the restoration is completely, set up the device as new through the device itself rather than iTunes, which I find can save you a lot more hair as opposed to dealing with iTunes all over again.

Sorry but what is DFU mode. Is in the settings area? And then your are saying to just do a reset within the phone?
My friend had installed ios8 on his 4s and said it worked flawlessly. I just thinking a fresh install of 8 on a reset phone may only be what is needed. The update was performed to os8 via the phone and wifi...not through iTunes. Sorry to be such a pita. I don't wanna make a brick outta this phone. Thx greg

Sorry but what is DFU mode. Is in the settings area? And then your are saying to just do a reset within the phone?
My friend had installed ios8 on his 4s and said it worked flawlessly. I just thinking a fresh install of 8 on a reset phone may only be what is needed. The update was performed to os8 via the phone and wifi...not through iTunes. Sorry to be such a pita. I don't wanna make a brick outta this phone. Thx greg
ok, so I read what dfu is. So based on what I've told you, would you suggest to just leave it alone?

No problem, it's always better to ask the question than to blindly go about it and possibly ruining a device.

If you can, I'd recommend restoring it to iOS 8 or iOS 7.1.2 so that it's a fresh start. I'm not a big fan of OTA updates since it tends to not work as flawlessly as a fresh installation of iOS. If anything, you can let your son play around with it for a bit and see if he feels it's being bogged down. If so, you can restore to iOS 8 then, otherwise, he can stay with the device at its current state.

I'll attempt a reset in setting, of all information when I go to transfer my phone to son. If it messes up, it messes up

Good luck.
I found this youtube link, which I'm assuming is ok to post here. It's not illegal or anything. It shows a guy explaining to revert to a different os on some of the apple devices. I did download the firmware and am ready to attempt this soon. I'm unsure if I should reset the phone 1st, to clean it back to out of the box state (obviously will still have the os8 on it) or just go for the firmware install? You opinion? He is the link. Mod please remove link if not allowed. Thx Greg

Link's no problem, it's just a tutorial from what I see.

Honestly speaking, I would just do a restore and fully clean it out. That'll make sure that everything is gone, and you're starting fresh. I tend to just go all-in or not at all with restores since I'd rather get it all over and done with as opposed to patching it up again when the problem comes up repeatedly. But that's just me.

If you've downloaded the firmware file, just open up iTunes, connect the device, and you should automatically be pointed to a screen with your device's information (i.e. phone number, serial, usage etc) with the Restore button. Just hold shift (windows) or command (Mac) and click the Restore button, and point itunes to the IPSW that you've downloaded when the file browser pops up. Let it do its thing, and voila.

Ok I'll do the reset then apply the firmware. Dilemma...can I extract my contact list out, without using iCloud? I backed up my device on iCloud, intending this for my new 6 phone. If I resore to os7, I won't be able to use the backup on it, right? (because icloud back up is from o8) Damn wut a mess. I guess I won't care about the back up. I just gotta use this 4s until I get my 6, which is on backorder. I should not prolong this downgrade

Last edited:
Ok I'll do the reset then apply the firmware. Dilemma...can I extract my contact list out, without using iCloud? I backed up my device on iCloud, intending this for my new 6 phone. If I resore to os7, I won't be able to use the backup on it, right? (because icloud back up is from o8) Damn wut a mess. I guess I won't care about the back up. I just gotta use this 4s until I get my 6, which is on backorder. I should not prolong this downgrade
Thinking about what I just wrote. It should not matter what os i get my backup from. It should restore my contacts just fine. My wife upgraded to the 6, and got her backup from the 5s which had on a os7. Unless, of course the back ups are not meaning to be for going back to an older version of os. I'm thinking into this too much. I'll let you know how it goes. Later