What's new

4S Camera stopped working, gets so hot, it burns me

fdriller9

Reaction score
Ok so a few nights ago I dropped my 4S and noticed since then, my phone has been getting really hot. Before when I upgraded to iOS 6, my battery would get WARM, NOT hot. Now after dropping the phone, my camera doesn't work and it gets extremely hot where the camera is, in the top right corner.

The camera area only gets hot when charging and while in use. When charging with the phone on, the phone goes into thermal protection after a couple hours on the charger. With the phone off, its the same thing, burning hot. The battery life is also drastically shortened.

I believe I have knocked a solder joint loose or something loose and am shorting something on the camera which is causing the heat and battery drain issue.

I am here to ask if anyone has heard of this? I've been reading about the battery issues and how replacing the battery can solve the heat issues. However, my case is different. It's the camera that gets burning hot. When I'm talking on the phone, I need to hold the phone away from my ear or it will burn me.

I'm jailbroken on iOS 6.

Thanks!

I just want to update this thread for others. I have resolved my issue by replacing the camera. It was about $16 and about 10 minutes of time.

Basically, I couldn not use my phone for more than 5 minutes or else the camera would get so hot, it would literally burn my fingers and ear when I touched it. I thought it was odd that only the camera area got hot and the camera app it self would not open.....I figured it must be the camera. So I took the phone apart, removed the camera, and surprisingly, the phone ran without the camera installed for about a week while I was waiting for the new camera to come in. All my issues were gone, no battery drain issues, no overheating but I was left with no camera.

Fast forward a week...I got the new camera in the mail and installed it. Viola! Camera works. No overheating issues. No battery drain issues.

By dropping my 4S, the impact must have knocked something out of place inside the camera and it was shorting something, which explains the overheating and battery drain issues.

There was probable a short circuit in the camera module that was causing the overheating you experienced it. Thanks for posting your solution, it may help others with the same problem.