What's new

4S Battery

keni0902

Reaction score
I have seen articles showing issues with the 3gs and iphone 4 models' battery swelling and sometimes exploding. Has this issue been resolved in the 4S? How can we avoid this?

Sent using Tapatalk on my iPhone

I have never seen a single report of a battery failure in an iPhone 4S.

Good to hear!

Sent using Tapatalk on my iPhone

After a certain amount of charge cycles, the battery is set to "expand" as a safety protocol. The magic number is 500 for just about every Lithium Ion battery, which is why Li-Ion batteries should be replaced at around 450-480 full charge cycles to prevent them from expanding and exploding

willerz2 said:
After a certain amount of charge cycles, the battery is set to "expand" as a safety protocol. The magic number is 500 for just about every Lithium Ion battery, which is why Li-Ion batteries should be replaced at around 450-480 full charge cycles to prevent them from expanding and exploding

The swelling that takes place in some lithium battery packs is not a built in safety protocol, but a result of contaminants, usually water, present during manufacture. I don't think there is any manufacturer out there that would deliberately program their batteries to swell and explode.

The expanding of the battery is caused by the nickel leaking out of the Anode of the Lithium Ion battery. After a certain amount of charge cycles (500), the nickel's oxidized to the point that it'll leak acid, so the swelling is in fact part of a relative "safety" protocol to keep the acid contained. If you charge the acid filled Li-Ion battery, it'll combust the acid, which'll cause the explosion with the current.

The expanding of the battery is caused by the nickel leaking out of the Anode of the Lithium Ion battery. After a certain amount of charge cycles (500), the nickel's oxidized to the point that it'll leak acid, so the swelling is in fact part of a relative "safety" protocol to keep the acid contained. If you charge the acid filled Li-Ion battery, it'll combust the acid, which'll cause the explosion with the current.

I was really hoping to stay out of this but your information is so COMPLETELY WRONG, you finally forced me to come correct it.

1) Lithium-Ion batteries DO NOT expand by design.

2) Anodes DO NOT leak. They PLATE.

3) Nickel is not a by product of an anode charging. Nickle is used, in certain designs, to help facilitate the Lithium-Ion chemical reaction. And if the nickel was to ever separate "magically" from the anode, the anode would STOP WORKING and the battery would never be able to charge again.

4) OLDER Lithium-Ion battery cathodes, after a LOT of repeated FULL CYCLE charges, can cause COBALT OXIDES. And unfortunately because they are not lithium-cobalt based that is what can cause bloating in OLDER designs and possible explosions if allowed to become concentrated enough.

5) NEWER Lithium-Ion batteries are less likely to do this due to new chemical based designs that help reduce the formation of oxides in the later charging cycles of said battery.

Please do us all a favor. Take just two years of chemistry. And then you will be able to prove to yourself why your statements were so dead wrong.

Last edited:
skull one said:
i was really hoping to stay out of this but your information is so completely wrong, you finally forced me to come correct it.

1) lithium-ion batteries do not expand by design.

2) anodes do not leak. They plate.

3) nickel is not a by product of an anode charging. Nickle is used, in certain designs, to help facilitate the lithium-ion chemical reaction. And if the nickel was to ever separate "magically" from the anode, the anode would stop working and the battery would never be able to charge again.

4) older lithium-ion battery cathodes, after a lot of repeated full cycle charges, can cause cobalt oxides. And unfortunately because they are not lithium-cobalt based that is what can cause bloating in older designs and possible explosions if allowed to become concentrated enough.

5) newer lithium-ion batteries are less likely to do this due to knew chemical based designs that help reduce the formation of oxides in the later charging cycles of said battery.

Please do us all a favor. Take just two years of chemistry. And then you will be able to prove to yourself why your statements were so dead wrong.

:golf clap: