What's new

4.2.8 jailbreak not working!!

The methods to /save/ your SHSH will no longer work for 4.2.8 because it is no longer being signed. The Cydia "make my life easier" button will only work for currently signed firmware as well. Your only option is to /dump/ the SHSH with iFaith. It is a PC application only. You just open it up and click "dump SHSH" then it will walk you through putting your phone into DFU mode and then it will exploit your phone with limera1n and dump your SHSH file from various boot logos and lockscreen images.

The act of dumping poses absolutely no risk to your phone. When it is done it will ask you to save it to your hard drive(place it somewhere easy to remember). It will also ask you if you want to e-mail it to yourself(I would advise doing this, the more backups the better).

In the future if your firmware becomes corrupt and you need to restore 4.2.8 you will need to run iFaith again and then build a firmware with the SHSH you saved.

I know jail breaked phones are a good thing but all this tethered untethered we need to reboot via a pc or not really does make you wonder us it really worth it. You never have this problem with an unjail broke phone

I know jail breaked phones are a good thing but all this tethered untethered we need to reboot via a pc or not really does make you wonder us it really worth it. You never have this problem with an unjail broke phone

It's not a "problem" it comes with the territory. If you're smart you'll never need a tethered jailbreak because you just stay on a firmware that has an untethered one. And yes, it's worth it. If it weren't for jailbreaking I would DEFINITELY not own an iPhone.

Jmills87 said:
It's not a "problem" it comes with the territory. If you're smart you'll never need a tethered jailbreak because you just stay on a firmware that has an untethered one. And yes, it's worth it. If it weren't for jailbreaking I would DEFINITELY not own an iPhone.

Wow. Seriously.

Jmills87 said:

You saying I'm not smart? LOL

Download shshit from cydia and save blobs. Is simplest for future blog saving. For the 4.2.8 or any other blobs not being sigh ed, faith will work fine

Last edited:
ah, my 32 gig verizon iphone is coming this monday. ordered from the website. please people, pray for me that it will come with 4.2.8 or lower, seems to me the chances are 50/50. anyone know if i could take it to the apple store and exchange if ordered from verizon website?

zig9449 said:
ah, my 32 gig verizon iphone is coming this monday. ordered from the website. please people, pray for me that it will come with 4.2.8 or lower, seems to me the chances are 50/50. anyone know if i could take it to the apple store and exchange if ordered from verizon website?

They exchange it their is a legit claim but they won't give you a different bc it doesn't have the firmware you want.

Like iCrank said they wont just swap it for a new one because you want an earlier firmware. You'll have to make up some issue with it. Even then, the chances are slim that you'll get one with 4.2.8 or lower. My friend got his iPhone4 last week and it came with 4.2.10 pre-installed, he took it into Apple and said that it was making a rattling noise so they swapped it and the one they swapped it with also had 4.2.10.

Jmills87 said:
Like iCrank said they wont just swap it for a new one because you want an earlier firmware. You'll have to make up some issue with it. Even then, the chances are slim that you'll get one with 4.2.8 or lower. My friend got his iPhone4 last week and it came with 4.2.10 pre-installed, he took it into Apple and said that it was making a rattling noise so they swapped it and the one they swapped it with also had 4.2.10.

+1...

Worked for me and a friend...twice. Both times within a week of each other and the second time was about a week ago.

zig9449 said:

They exchange it their is a legit claim but they won't give you a different bc it doesn't have the firmware you want.

Ya I know.lol. I did this with my iPod twice in one month cuz I got suck in DFU loop and was forced to upgrade. All it was kinda funny the second time cuz I said my battery was draining faster than my friends iPod. They theory restored it. There was about 40% battery when I went in. I was pissed they didnt replace so I went outside and walked around downloading apps and deleting them nonstop til battery was really low. Did this for a half hour. Then went back like "hey guy my battery went from 56% to 18% in a half hour, just wanted to double check that's normal or not." needless to say he gsve me my replacement with 4.3.3. I was really hoping for 4.2.1 but *moderated there was no way I was doing that again. Felt like an *moderated* the first time. It worked tho. I guess all the frustration dealing with the stupid earlier versions of iFaith and getting stuck in DFU loop, and having upgrade pissed me off so bad I went rite to the apple store. Had I not been so pissed and frustrated I proly never would have done it.lol. But I guess I'm glad I did. Stupid firmware restrictions. Screw them.

*Moderated*

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, I do understand the chances are slim, but it's worth a shot I guess. Also I live in PA, way far east. The opposite end of where the epicenter of apple. I hope this factor helps me. And a couple months ago I got my iPod touch replaced with one that had 4.2.1. And thats way outdated. But ya never know I guess. Im preparing my self for 4.2.10. Ya know, to avoid a major dissapointment. I guess my chances aren't exactly 50/50, and are more like slim to none. And if my replacement foes come with 4.2.10 then I guess I'll have no choice to have a tethered JB. really hate it tho. I my self in particular like to do fresh reboots cuz it fixes minor annoyances sometimes. But I guess respringing can fix them sometimes too. Not all the time tho. Sometimes ya just gotta reboot.lol

Yeah, I do understand the chances are slim, but it's worth a shot I guess. Also I live in PA, way far east. The opposite end of where the epicenter of apple. I hope this factor helps me. And a couple months ago I got my iPod touch replaced with one that had 4.2.1. And thats way outdated. But ya never know I guess. Im preparing my self for 4.2.10. Ya know, to avoid a major dissapointment. I guess my chances aren't exactly 50/50, and are more like slim to none. And if my replacement foes come with 4.2.10 then I guess I'll have no choice to have a tethered JB. really hate it tho. I my self in particular like to do fresh reboots cuz it fixes minor annoyances sometimes. But I guess respringing can fix them sometimes too. Not all the time tho. Sometimes ya just gotta reboot.lol

Pray For Me?:(