What's new

4.0.2 update to 4.1 question..

motochamp250

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm currently running 4.0.2 on an iphone 4 and I'm wanting to jailbreak. Is it possible to update to 4.1 now that all these new IOS's are out? I don't really care about unlocking, just want cydia and all the "cool" apps! thanks!
EDIT: or would it be better to update to the newest IOS out and jailbreak that? (if possible)

Hunter

Last edited:
i had the 4.2.1 jailbreak and since its tethered it was SUPER annoying to have to run redsn0w over and over again, so i went back down to 4.1 and use limera1n so im sure you could still just get 4.1 and jailbreak

alright, so how would i get the 4.1 with the new ios's out? is there a way to download 4.1 from somewhere and make itunes put that on the phone?

Unfortunatly it's not possible to update to any iOS you want. It's only possible to install the current firmware or go back to previous one if you have your 'blobs' saved.

You need to be on a firmware to save your 'blobs' for that firmware. So since you havent been on 4.1 you can only restore your phone to 4.2 then roll back to 4.0.2 provided you've saved your 'blobs' first...

Thats what i thought, darn. Well correct me if I'm wrong but there is no jailbreak for 4.0.2 correct? So i guess I'll upgrade to the new IOS and hope for a tether free JB... thanks for the help guys..

Thats what i thought, darn. Well correct me if I'm wrong but there is no jailbreak for 4.0.2 correct? So i guess I'll upgrade to the new IOS and hope for a tether free JB... thanks for the help guys..

sure there is, you can jailbreak 4.0.2 !!!!! Limearain!!!! And yes you could update to 4.1 ( as long as you preserve the baseband of the 4.0.2) then jailbreak it. The instructions are on this site.

well i mean i guess you can try downloading the firmware from felixbruns and choosing what firmware to upgrade, it may work and may not work =\

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQrj83O5Lw0&feature=fvsr]YouTube - Jailbreak 4.1 & 4.0.2 on iPod Touch 4g 3g 2g & iPhone 4 3gs & iPad - LimeRa1n (how to)[/ame]

Awesome, i guess I'll try jailbreaking my 4.0.2 b/c i don't think there is anything on the new IOS's that is worth upgrading to right?

BTW, this iphone 4 new came with the 4.0.2 so I've never changed it... just an FYI

well i mean i guess you can try downloading the firmware from felixbruns and choosing what firmware to upgrade, it may work and may not work =\

It won't work. Apple stop signing old firmware once a new one is released. That's why you save your blobs to trick iTunes into allowing you to install a firmware that apple no longer sign...

i did my downgrade and jailbreak last night on 4.1

Yes you can downgrade to 4.1 from 4.2 provided you've saved your 4.1 blobs. Since motochamp250 hasn't upgraded to 4.1 before 4.2 was released he wouldn't of had a chance to save any 4.1 blobs for his phone...

Awesome, i guess I'll try jailbreaking my 4.0.2 b/c i don't think there is anything on the new IOS's that is worth upgrading to right?

Yes you can just jailbreak and (unlock if you want) no problem. Just wait a week or few for an untethered jailbreak on 4.2...

thanks gaz. looks like its limera1n on my current firmware until maybe something different comes out for 4.2 thanks again guys! im going to try it when i get home haha btw unlocking is just to use a different carrier right? if so im not worried about that really...