What's new

3GS as an I Pod?

Russtopher

Reaction score
Hello

I am wanting to use my old 3Gs phone as an I Pod, just to store and play music. However, it keeps asking for a SIM card. I can't get past this prompt. I can log onto my WiFi, but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on how to get past the SIM card prompt?

Thanks.

I don't have a SIM card in one of my phones, it always tells me no sim installed when I reboot but starts up fine.

Thanks. I've tried it without and with a SIM card. I get the same prompt either way? By re-booting, are you referring to just turning it off, then back on? This should be simple, right?

Thanks

IMG_1106.JPG
I can't get past this point ?

IMG_1107.JPG
Or this prompt ??? I've rebooted several times ?

Have you tried a different SIM card to check if the SIM card is faulty? If it still won't activate, the SIM card holder may be faulty, preventing the SIM card from being detected.

Have you tried a different SIM card to check if the SIM card is faulty? If it still won't activate, the SIM card holder may be faulty, preventing the SIM card from being detected.

Thanks. I think that is the next step. I get the same prompt from I Tunes too.

Try a sim card that does not have a PIN lock (disable the PIN number).

Do I get another SIM card through T-Mobile? I've been told that a SIM card should not be required for the use of an I Phone as a music pod? I still get the SIM card prompt, even with it removed? How are you all getting by the SIM card issue?

Thanks

Even if an iPhone is in perfect operating condition, it needs a SIM card in the holder to activate it after a restore. Once activated, the SIM card can be removed.

Even if an iPhone is in perfect operating condition, it needs a SIM card in the holder to activate it after a restore. Once activated, the SIM card can be removed.

Thanks. I'll try that. I put a new SIM card in it. Maybe it was not activated or faulty?

Thanks

Alright, I took the phone to T-Mobile yesterday. It appears that my buddy, somehow damaged the SIM card reader. It will no longer read SIM cards. Is there any way around this for just using as an I Pod for music?

Thanks

Alright, I took the phone to T-Mobile yesterday. It appears that my buddy, somehow damaged the SIM card reader. It will no longer read SIM cards. Is there any way around this for just using as an I Pod for music?

Thanks
I'm afraid not. Your iPhone can't be used without repairing the SIM card reader. This would likely cost more than the iPhone is worth.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not. You're iPhone can't be used without repairing the SIM card reader. This would likely cost more than the iPhone is worth.

Thanks. That's what I figured. How can you damage the SIM card reader? Odd...