What's new

3GS - Accessory Not Supported

Pipster2709

Reaction score
I have an old 3GS that I'm going to use for music, a few years back it was my main phone and It worked with my Yamaha pdx-50 dock, then it stopped working, when connected it started to displayed accessory not supported when connected.

At the time I didn't do anything about it as got an iPhone 4.

Recently I decided to refurb my old 3GS, replace the casing, screen etc, I had a think about the above error and decided to put in a new charge port/speaker component, only £4 on eBay, i figured that the problem could have been caused by damage to the connector in the phone.

The phone goes back to together, everything working, try it with the dock and I still get the accessory not supported error....

I'm stumped.

The dock works with an ipad 2, it works with an iPhone 4, it used to work with this iPhone 3GS but for some reason it is now persona non grata.

I've replaced the only piece of hardware that comes into contact with the dock and it still doesn't work.

The os has been updated at least 4 times.

It has been factory reset many.

So the problem must be something else.

Anyone got any ideas? What triggers this error? I'm thinking of jailbreaking to dig a bit deeper.

All help gratefully received.

Hmm. Normally that comes from maybe a faulty cable or a 3rd party cable. But I'm assuming you're using the same cable for all 3 devices since they all run the 30-pin connector. Jailbreaking probably wouldn't help either since I don't think it's a software problem but a hardware problem. You might have to crack it open again and do a thorough exam on it to see if there're any loose connectors maybe. I mean potentially, it can be a software problem but as you've already restored it many times, I don't believe it's a software problem.

Off-topic, nice choice of speakers though. Still using my PDX-30 though :p Satisfied with it for now