What's new

3GS 6.1.2 unlocking/baseband error

marcoif

Reaction score
Hi - first post, be gentle, here goes

Completed jailbreaking my 3GS with evasi0n 6.1.2 and have been trying unsucessfully to unlock it using Redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3

I used a page at Redmond Pie - "Downgrade iPhone 3GS / 3G 06.15.00 To 05.13.04 Baseband For Unlock And Working GPS" and have done everything step by step and keep coming up against the error "Failed to decrypt kernel"

The current baseband is 05.16.08
The ISPW file is iPhone2,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore

I used DFU mode to find the Bootrom is 359.3.2 so I chose 'New Bootrom'

I followed advice to run Redsn0w as administrator in XP sp3 compatibilty mode. When I point it at the ISPW file and press the Jailbreak button I get the 'Failed to decrypt kernel' and so never get to the 'Downgrade from iPad baseband' stage

I've searched a lot before coming and asking, but kind find any helpful advice - am I doing something stupid?

Thanks

Mark

You're selecting the 6.1.2 IPSW and not the 6.0 IPSW. Redsn0w only supports the 6.0 IPSW for iOS's 6.0-6.1.5. Next, your baseband is not on the iPad baseband. Baseband downgrading only works on the 06.15.00 IPSW because of a built-in mechanism of Redsn0w that exploits that particular baseband. You'd have to first flash the iPad Baseband, then downgrade

Sent from my iPad using Tapa

Hi many thanks, that moved me on a bit. However the result of installing ipad bb 06.15.00 is 'Exploit failed'

Thanks for your help

Restore your device back to iOS 4.1 using iTunes by shift/command clicking the restore button and finding the 4.1 IPSW for the 3GS. You'll need to download it first.. SHSH blobs are not required for the 3GS when going back to 4.1. Then use RedSn0w again to jailbreak and flash the iPad baseband. Once jailbroken and flashed to 06.15.00, downgrade your baseband using RedSn0w, then use RedSn0w to restore to 6.1.3 (or any iOS 6 that you have valid blobs AND APTickets for) while preserving your baseband.

If you're back on 6.0-6.1.2, use Evasi0n6 to jailbreak. If you're on 6.1.3, use p0sixspwn to jailbreak.

I understand up to "Downgrade your baseband using Redsn0w

After that I'm a little confused

"then use RedSn0w to restore to 6.1.3 (or any iOS 6 that you have valid blobs AND APTickets for) while preserving your baseband"
Could you explain this a little further please?
What are valid blobs AND APTickets?
How do I find out what iOS I have these for?

When I restore to 6.1.2 (or 3) in Redsn0w that won't be jailbroken, right?

Then I do this:

"If you're back on 6.0-6.1.2, use Evasi0n6 to jailbreak. If you're on 6.1.3, use p0sixspwn to jailbreak"

New to all this - just want to be clear :)

Many thanks for your time

When you want to restore to an iOS that's not the latest iOS being signed for the iPhone 4 and older devices, you need SHSH blobs and APTickets (iOS 5+) to do so. Otherwise, you can only restore the latest iOS. In your case, it doesn't matter since 6.1.3 can also be untethered jailbroken, so just replace that with restore to 6.1.3 using Redsn0w.

Restoring will leave your device unjailbroken, but the key to is procedure is the baseband modification. Jailbreaking is the easy part. Once you're on 05.13.04 or 06.15.00 you can use UltraSn0w to unlock. Since you want application support from the AppStore as well, you don't want to leave it at iOS 4.1, so by preserving yo baseband when restoring to 6.1.3, you carry over the baseband to 6.1.3. Restoring an iPhone will always update your baseband to the latest baseband. By preserving it, you force your device to not upgrade it's baseband so you can unlock it

Thanks very much for all your help. It was difficult trying to find all the little pieces of information and put them all together, but you've given really clear explanations

Cheers