What's new

3 of 5 iphone 7 among kids and us have speaker grey out problem. thiss is obviously systematic!

keling dun

Reaction score
Kids and us together own 5 iphone 7 bought together almost two years ago. Now 3 of 5 iPhone in the family have the same failure.

- speaker grey out when making or receive call
- cannot hear other party
- microphone does not work either, with phone or face time.
- can only make or receive call through bluebooth!

First my son's iPhone 7 had this in July. Took to apple support and they tested it and say yeah it's their problem and they
replced the phone.

Then last month, same thing happed to my iPhone 7 and my other son's iPhone 7 plus. took to apple support, they see the issue but said that they covered it for a while now they think it's not their problem and we are out of luck!

the only way is we pay to have them fixed. How could this not be a systematic issue when 3 of the 5 phone have the exact failure and all happen close to each other?

All five phone were bought together through T-Mobile 2 years ago as a family plan. So must be a problem batch.

I am so angry with apple. Anybody know how to pursue this to make appel act? expose somewhere? where? my local TV has

a consumer show and I will give them a call and see if they could help. I am ******! #!#!

Last edited:
It sounds like it may be a system issue or a wifi issue. Where does the problem occur: only in one place and with a single network, or...?

It sounds like it may be a system issue or a wifi issue. Where does the problem occur: only in one place and with a single network, or...?

No. This is not a WiFi issue. I even tried restore to factory and the problem exist. This is an Apple issue. Many people experience this and they don’t want to man up and admit it. Below is a reply from another thread:

Re: iPhone speaker greyed out
Well said. Here's my experience. A few weeks back I call my son & he answers but we can't hear one another. A few more tries, then he texts me saying his phone isn't working. When he gets home, I do a little troubleshooting & notice the speaker phone icon was grayed out when answering a call on his device (iPhone 7). A bit of Googling turned up this article, which led to many others; eventually leading to my scheduling an in person Genius Bar appointment in the Apple store @ the Domain in Austin, Texas. Here's how that went.

The following commentary is generalized to get the point across; is not our actual quoted word for word conversation -- here's how it went down.

• Me: Hi there, nice shoes. Do you see my issue?
  • Apple Tech: Thanks. Yes, it's noted in the case. (possibly thinking to himself that he knows the issue but can't divulge information because it's to be kept on the down-low)

At this point we play the tech support back and forth game of - plug in the issue-detecor'ometer-device to check this & that, click this, test that... so we can get to the already known issue that he can't do anything about other than to shamefully inform me that I'll need to pay $300+ dollars to replace the phone since it's a month out of warranty.

• Me: This is a known issue. It's clearly documented on the internet in many places. As it notes, in the initial fallout (May 2018) Apple was replacing phones left and right due to this issue. Would you mind reading this article? (my wife pulled it up the article hyperlinked above & shared with him so he would have to read it in front of us)
  • Apple Tech: Yes, this could all be rumors.
  • Me: May I escalate here in the store and speak with your leader?
  • Apple Tech: Sure, one moment.
  • Apple Tech Leader: How may I help?
  • Me: Let's cut to the chase. There's clearly an elephant in the room that you don't want to discuss. I want to know more about it. I'm not okay with Apple pushing an update to my sons phone, physically breaking it and then asking me give them $300+ for another one, whilst my son's grandmother continues to make payments on the now broken one she gave him for Christmas two years ago.
  • Apple Tech Leader: Human consumer, the Engineers have informed us that this is not our problem, that we're certain of it and that your only option is to buy a new phone.

In an attempt to reason with this person on a humane level seeking empathy & compassion:

• Me: Knowing what you know... where you in my position, what would you do?
  • Apple Tech Leader: I would purchase a newer, shiny'er phone.

Time for another approach; break into the machine and get past the auto-responses.

• Me: How often do you see this problem?
  • Apple Tech Leader: (uncertain how to respond at first and then it pops out) Several times a day.
  • Me: Seriously?

This caught the Tech Leader off guard, and in an attempt to recover they made a few more statements which in turn caused their face to turn bright red. (natural response to embarrassment) Here's what was reported to my wife, son and I by the individual known as Tech Leader (as to not get them fired). This individual said that back in May, when this initially surfaced, the Austin store (in the Domain) was one of a few who were working with customers on phone replacements and in direct contact with "The Engineers". At some point in June or July, "The Engineers" said no more replacements or fixes. The individual proceeded to tell us that since it's only affecting less than the ? percentage of customers deemed necessary to issue a "Program" - at this point we'd need to pay-up for a replacement; but that in the future, if a "Program" were opened for this, we might be able to get our money back.

I asked how I might be notified of such a "Program" and was directed to check back to "the bottom" of the following web page every so often. Official Apple Support

Apple, do you believe you have enough power & money to treat your customers this way? The flaw your company introduced on this particular batch of phones ruined them, and because the "X" percentage of affected customers likely won't cause enough ruckus to legally interfere with your bottom dollar - you're going to dust this one under the rug?

Shame on you.

Some more information on this.

Sincerely,

a previous iPhone user

Last edited by a moderator:
In that case, try the local Apple store if you have one, the Apple Support app, and both Facebook and Twitter. If enough people communicate using at least the last 3 options, Apple will not be able to dodge anymore.

And try TMobile, you purchased from them and are their customer, they may help, especially if they realize not helping sends you to Verizon.

No. This is not a WiFi issue. I even tried restore to factory and the problem exist. This is an Apple issue. Many people experience this and they don’t want to man up and admit it. Below is a reply from another thread:

Re: iPhone speaker greyed out
Well said. Here's my experience. A few weeks back I call my son & he answers but we can't hear one another. A few more tries, then he texts me saying his phone isn't working. When he gets home, I do a little troubleshooting & notice the speaker phone icon was grayed out when answering a call on his device (iPhone 7). A bit of Googling turned up this article, which led to many others; eventually leading to my scheduling an in person Genius Bar appointment in the Apple store @ the Domain in Austin, Texas. Here's how that went.

The following commentary is generalized to get the point across; is not our actual quoted word for word conversation -- here's how it went down.

• Me: Hi there, nice shoes. Do you see my issue?
  • Apple Tech: Thanks. Yes, it's noted in the case. (possibly thinking to himself that he knows the issue but can't divulge information because it's to be kept on the down-low)

At this point we play the tech support back and forth game of - plug in the issue-detecor'ometer-device to check this & that, click this, test that... so we can get to the already known issue that he can't do anything about other than to shamefully inform me that I'll need to pay $300+ dollars to replace the phone since it's a month out of warranty.

• Me: This is a known issue. It's clearly documented on the internet in many places. As it notes, in the initial fallout (May 2018) Apple was replacing phones left and right due to this issue. Would you mind reading this article? (my wife pulled it up the article hyperlinked above & shared with him so he would have to read it in front of us)
  • Apple Tech: Yes, this could all be rumors.
  • Me: May I escalate here in the store and speak with your leader?
  • Apple Tech: Sure, one moment.
  • Apple Tech Leader: How may I help?
  • Me: Let's cut to the chase. There's clearly an elephant in the room that you don't want to discuss. I want to know more about it. I'm not okay with Apple pushing an update to my sons phone, physically breaking it and then asking me give them $300+ for another one, whilst my son's grandmother continues to make payments on the now broken one she gave him for Christmas two years ago.
  • Apple Tech Leader: Human consumer, the Engineers have informed us that this is not our problem, that we're certain of it and that your only option is to buy a new phone.

In an attempt to reason with this person on a humane level seeking empathy & compassion:

• Me: Knowing what you know... where you in my position, what would you do?
  • Apple Tech Leader: I would purchase a newer, shiny'er phone.

Time for another approach; break into the machine and get past the auto-responses.

• Me: How often do you see this problem?
  • Apple Tech Leader: (uncertain how to respond at first and then it pops out) Several times a day.
  • Me: Seriously?

This caught the Tech Leader off guard, and in an attempt to recover they made a few more statements which in turn caused their face to turn bright red. (natural response to embarrassment) Here's what was reported to my wife, son and I by the individual known as Tech Leader (as to not get them fired). This individual said that back in May, when this initially surfaced, the Austin store (in the Domain) was one of a few who were working with customers on phone replacements and in direct contact with "The Engineers". At some point in June or July, "The Engineers" said no more replacements or fixes. The individual proceeded to tell us that since it's only affecting less than the ? percentage of customers deemed necessary to issue a "Program" - at this point we'd need to pay-up for a replacement; but that in the future, if a "Program" were opened for this, we might be able to get our money back.

I asked how I might be notified of such a "Program" and was directed to check back to "the bottom" of the following web page every so often. Official Apple Support

Apple, do you believe you have enough power & money to treat your customers this way? The flaw your company introduced on this particular batch of phones ruined them, and because the "X" percentage of affected customers likely won't cause enough ruckus to legally interfere with your bottom dollar - you're going to dust this one under the rug?

Shame on you.

Some more information on this.

Sincerely,

a previous iPhone user

Hi

I am experiencing this same issue with an Iphone 7.....

I was wondering if you had one repaired and was it a permanent fix ?

I know that a chip has to be resoldered etc....