What's new

$29 battery

Rockguy

Reaction score
I've seen Apple is offering $29 battery replacement until Dec 31, 2018. My questions are... do you have to be having battery issues or, can you just get a new battery since the phone is a few years old?

Also, do you have to be the original owner? Thanks in advance.

I've seen Apple is offering $29 battery replacement until Dec 31, 2018. My questions are... do you have to be having battery issues or, can you just get a new battery since the phone is a few years old?

Also, do you have to be the original owner? Thanks in advance.
You don't have to have battery issues to get a replacement under this program. Just take your iPhone to an Apple Store or an authorized service centre. If they don't have the correct battery in stock for your iPhone they'll have to order it and they'll let you know when it arrives. The actual replacement takes about 45 minutes. Make sure to back up your iPhone just in case.

You don't have to have battery issues to get a replacement under this program. Just take your iPhone to an Apple Store or an authorized service centre. If they don't have the correct battery in stock for your iPhone they'll have to order it and they'll let you know when it arrives. The actual replacement takes about 45 minutes. Make sure to back up your iPhone just in case.
Thank you. I'm thinking it might be wise to do it. Can anyone see why not? Maybe the if ain't broke, don't fix it thing?

Thank you. I'm thinking it might be wise to do it. Can anyone see why not? Maybe the if ain't broke, don't fix it thing?

There is a lot to be said for that old adage in my opinion ;)

How old is your phone? If it's not that old and you are not currently having problems then in my opinion there is little point in changing it. If, on the other hand, its a few years old and is showing signs of deterioration (needing charging more regularly etc) then it would make sense to get it changed at the current low price.

There is a lot to be said for that old adage in my opinion ;)

How old is your phone? If it's not that old and you are not currently having problems then in my opinion there is little point in changing it. If, on the other hand, its a few years old and is showing signs of deterioration (needing charging more regularly etc) then it would make sense to get it changed at the current low price.
I've had it for a couple of years and I'm the 2nd owner. If I'm listening to streaming radio (which I do quite a bit) it can sometimes take it down pretty quickly. It varies though. Weird thing is sometimes when it goes quickly, I'm at home on Wifi so it's not really a low signal problem. I mean I guess the cost is only jumping up to $49 after that so, another $20 if I wait and need it later. I'm capable of changing them myself it's just it seems like you can't really find a genuine apple battery

The only way to get a genuine Apple battery is to have Apple or an authorized service centre replace it. The only other source for genuine batteries is from parted out iPhones.

The only way to get a genuine Apple battery is to have Apple or an authorized service centre replace it. The only other source for genuine batteries is from parted out iPhones.
Ahh ok. Thanks.

I've had it for a couple of years and I'm the 2nd owner. If I'm listening to streaming radio (which I do quite a bit) it can sometimes take it down pretty quickly. It varies though. Weird thing is sometimes when it goes quickly, I'm at home on Wifi so it's not really a low signal problem. I mean I guess the cost is only jumping up to $49 after that so, another $20 if I wait and need it later. I'm capable of changing them myself it's just it seems like you can't really find a genuine apple battery
After Dec 31 the Apple battery price returns to the normal price of $79, not $49. And I had the replacement this spring, not out of need but because I decided to hold off on purchasing a new iPhone and it seemed prudent. Works great. Also know this, on the older iPhone, not only are the batteries not I. Stock, but they have to have them made. This is what takes time. So don’t wait. Last spring they had me download the Apple Support app and thru that contact Apple to start the process that ends with you talking to Apple Support and the battery being ordered. You can’t just walk into the Apple Store on the 31st and think it will get done.

After Dec 31 the Apple battery price returns to the normal price of $79, not $49. And I had the replacement this spring, not out of need but because I decided to hold off on purchasing a new iPhone and it seemed prudent. Works great. Also know this, on the older iPhone, not only are the batteries not I. Stock, but they have to have them made. This is what takes time. So don’t wait. Last spring they had me download the Apple Support app and thru that contact Apple to start the process that ends with you talking to Apple Support and the battery being ordered. You can’t just walk into the Apple Store on the 31st and think it will get done.
So, if I understand. You can literally tell them nothing is wrong with my current battery. (I try to keep it plugged in as often as possible so I'm not 100% certain) and they will still do the $29 replacement? I assume the app store has the support app? How should I get the ball rolling?

Yes, if your iPhone is covered under this replacement program, it does not need to be currently failing. My iPhone 6+ was covered. The Apple Support app in the App Store. Using the app you click on Get Support. Then click on the iPhone you are concerned about. Then click on Battery and Charging, then I think Battery replacement. I scheduled a call, they called me, I think they checked something and initiated the battery order. Next, I got an email for the Apple Store I picked to do the work, telling me the battery was waiting for me. It took over a month to arrive. I went to the Apple Store, gave them the iPhone. They tested the iPhone. It can’t be damaged or they require the damage to be fixed. They test the battery, mine was fine but I said I wanted to replace it and they did it.