What's new

2016 iPhone to be a Refreshed iPhone 6S Instead of iPhone 7 [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-6s-shoplemonde-01.jpg

You will want to take this rumor with a high blood pressure inducing wad of salt. Supposedly, Apple is going to bypass its usual "tick, tock" cycle this year and will only refresh the iPhone 6S line with some minor changes and enhancements. The rumint we found at Venturebeat suggests that Apple wants to save the iPhone 7 for next year so they can call it the 10th anniversary edition.

For folks unfamiliar with Apple's "tick, tock" tech upgrade strategy, each year called a "tick" is when Apple brings out a completely new iPhone with significant changes to its hardware design and aesthetics. The "tock" cycle is when Apple simply makes a refreshed device with a small few enhancements and improvements.

Last year was a "tock" cycle, which is what brought us the iPhone 6S line. That would mean this year is a "tick" cycle traditionally; however, since next year will be the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, Apple supposedly wants to do something big and splashy, which includes rumored curved OLED displays, embedded fingerprint readers and the return of glass backs.

If they do make this strategic shift, it would mean that the phone they release this year, will only be another version of the iPhone 6S (which would make it a refreshed, refresh of the iPhone 6). Of course, until Apple makes something official, there's no way to really confirm this data. What do you folks think? Would this be a smart or a disappointing move by Apple if it turns out to be true?

I for one would be very disappointed and it might mean I don't change my phone as I normally do but wait until next year.

If Apple make the 2016 phone 32GB entry level that might persuade me to upgrade.
We will have to wait and see of course what Apple give us.

I would be extremely disappointed as well. However, I would still probably upgrade since I've at the two year point. I really hope Apple has some nice surprises at the end of the year because it's been extremely slow going with their products lately. (MacBooks/iMacs/Monitors/etc)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was just a minor upgrade.

Why innovate when you can release nothing but rehashes and people snatch it up like the next best thing?

These "leaks" are coming from the "inside" to lessen the blow come September when they announce it.

I for one could not care less, leaks, leaks and more leaks.
Just wait a while people, yesterday no headphone socket oh no we must have that. I told my girlfriend she said, l don't care l never wear head phones.
Had to laugh. She's only 98

Apple share price would take a major dive if the 2016 iPhone wasn't a significant enough change to iPhone 6 to generate the sales normally following the two-year tick release. This is a bigger motivator than sentimentality around a 10 year anniversary.

I love these rumours, they get people talking about absolutely nothing.

I read somewhere it might have 2 headphone sockets, for this great new sound called.
Stereo

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.