To register for an account, click here...
    Member #

Traveling to Europe

We have Verizon iPhone 4S phones and are going to Rome, then a Mediterranean cruise. I'd like to use data for things like Maps, Remember the Milk and Evernote. We live in the USA. I'd like to do it as cheap as possible. Any ideas?

Super Moderator/Jailbreak Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    First and foremost... you'll need to do some research on the area you'll be traveling to, what wireless providers are available, and their pricing. Second, you'll need the SIM slot of your 4S unlocked... either by VZW (contact their customer service and see if you qualify), by using the Gevey Ultra S SIM interpose from ApplenBerry.com, or... some type of IEMI unlock from the internet (not what I would recommend doing but, might be cheaper than the Gevey if VZW won't unlock your SIM slot.)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Thomasjtsi is spot on, call VZW today and start the dialog to get the SIM unlocked for an overseas provider.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    540 times
    Verizon should do it for free as long as you meet their requirements. But unless you have a foreign SIM, you can't really test it out.
    iPhone 4S/iPad Mini 16 GB iOS 7.0.4 Evasi0n7||AppleTV2 iOS 5.2 Seas0nPass
    Use your common sense, Google, and the Search Bar
    willerz2@iphoneforums.net
    Please read and abide by the forum rules by clicking on the kitty->

Member #
    Thank you. If I use an overseas provider and have Verizon unlock the phone for that, how do I know what rate I pay for voice, texts, and data? Also would I pay Verizon still?

Super Moderator/Jailbreak Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darinr80
    Thank you. If I use an overseas provider and have Verizon unlock the phone for that, how do I know what rate I pay for voice, texts, and data? Also would I pay Verizon still?
    The rate for your over seas usage depends solely on what provider you're going with. Take into account the amount of time you're going to be there and how much you're going to use your phone for calling, texts & data. If you're still under contract w/ Verizon, yes... you'll need to continue paying them as well.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    If you want to avoid the fees and hassle of all this, you can still communicate back home over wifi. I know you won't have easy access on the road, but most hotels and dining spots have free wifi (if you are dining). I was recently in Italy and used Viber for calls and texts and it worked wonderfully. Also, if you have "CityMaps2Go" and pre-download the maps, you can use the phone's GPS to locate you on the map. It worked flawlessly in the major cities! I did not have access to 3G and didn't miss it a bit!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darinr80 View Post
    The part of our family currently living over there (Italy, in military) has Vodafone as provider, and after about a year, they are very happy. They are just on a pay-as-you-go plan (no bundles, packages, or etc.), using unlocked iPhone 4Ss bought just before they left for Italy. They chose this route because, yes, they could have bought the phones and a plan from Vodafone, but it would have been far, far more expensive than what they're doing now, and they paid $750 apiece for the unlocked phones.

It should be noted that since they use message between each other's phones for a lot of their texting, costs can be kept low. Also, being in the military provided a strong motivation to buy unlocked phones not provided to any country's carrier. The reality of military life is that while they're supposed to be in Italy for 3 years on their current orders, at any time the service member could receive orders and be at sea or in the sandbox in a matter of a few days. This way, no matter where each ends up (the spouse and offspring could end up back stateside in such a scenario), they just go right on talkin'.
    "La felicitą della nostra vita dipende dalla qualitą dei nostri pensieri"

-Marco Aurelio

{The happiness of our life depends on the quality of our thoughts. - Marcus Aurelius, orig. "Felicitas vitae dependet qualitas cogitationes."}

Links