To register for an account, click here...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Skull One
  • 1 Post By Deckyon

Thread: Mobile Hotspot - will I know if a call or text is coming in?

Member #

Mobile Hotspot - will I know if a call or text is coming in?

Question: Does anyone know if, while using the Mobile Hotspot on the iPhone (for a laptop or tablet, etc.), is there any indication if a call or text is coming through? In other words, if a call/text is coming through, does anything pop up on the iPhone screen asking if you want to pick up the call (or reply to a text) and disconnect your internet connection? Thanks for your help!

(p.s.: I have not ordered an iPhone 5 yet...but will do so soon on my Verizon plan....)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    484 times
    Always know this about an iPhone. It is a cellular phone first and a microcomputer second. So you will get exactly the same alerts with or without hotspot turned on.

As for maintaining the internet connection during a call, that comes down to two factors.

If the hotspot is going thru LTE, then in theory, yes it will maintain the data connection. But I haven't personally tested it yet.

If on 3G however, the hotspot has to be suspended based on my past experince with it.
    hotspot75 likes this.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

Member #

Thank you for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    Always know this about an iPhone. It is a cellular phone first and a microcomputer second. So you will get exactly the same alerts with or without hotspot turned on.

As for maintaining the internet connection during a call, that comes down to two factors.

If the hotspot is going thru LTE, then in theory, yes it will maintain the data connection. But I haven't personally tested it yet.

If on 3G however, the hotspot has to be suspended based on my past experince with it.

Thanks very much for replying to my post!

I'm at the point where I won't mind if I'll have to disconnect the internet connection if a call is coming in (if on 3G, for example).... my biggest concern is whether I'll receive the notification that a call/text is coming through and that I'll have the option to answer (and disconnect).

By the way, I asked the same question to a Verizon.com rep via "Chat" and they said I would "probably" receive a notification on my phone. When I called my local Verizon Store (the corporate store...not an agency) to ask the question, the Verizon employee said I would NOT receive any notification. I sought out this forum with the hope that actual experienced users could reply with experience -- so I appreciate your feedback!! :-)

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You will receive notification of a call and texts. I do and I have mobile hotspot and a verizon iphone.
    hotspot75 likes this.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV Gen 3 & Gen2

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    You will receive notification of a call and texts. I do and I have mobile hotspot and a verizon iphone.
    Thank you Deckyon! :-)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Links