To register for an account, click here...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Posts
    8,415
    Member #
    35980
    Liked
    714 times

    iPad not in the dictionary???

    i was playing Scrabble on my iPad and tried to put in the word iPad,it declined it with message that it isn't in the dictionary,maybe it hasn't been out long enough yet,seems ironic playing the game on the device that it won't accept.



  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,369
    Member #
    16690
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonivy View Post
    i was playing Scrabble on my iPad and tried to put in the word iPad,it declined it with message that it isn't in the dictionary,maybe it hasn't been out long enough yet,seems ironic playing the game on the device that it won't accept.
    It is a proper noun.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Posts
    8,415
    Member #
    35980
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    It is a proper noun.
    yes it should be acceptable,going slightly OT here but it won't accept the word rape either,Rape can be a yellow crop in a field,don't think the capitalisation matters.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,369
    Member #
    16690
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonivy View Post
    yes it should be acceptable,going slightly OT here but it won't accept the word rape either,Rape can be a yellow crop in a field,don't think the capitalisation matters.
    Scrabble rules don't allow for proper nouns. But yes I am aware that Hasbro and EA agreed to remove certain offensive words to appease the politically correct.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Posts
    8,415
    Member #
    35980
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    Scrabble rules don't allow for proper nouns. But yes I am aware that Hasbro and EA agreed to remove certain offensive words to appease the politically correct.
    actually the rules have been changed to allow proper nouns,as for removing "offensive" words thats just crazy,people can think for themselves after all.
    Last edited by Poisonivy; 03-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,369
    Member #
    16690
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonivy View Post
    actually the rules have been changed to allow proper nouns,as for removing "offensive" words thats just crazy,people can think for themselves after all.
    There is the issue! You are looking at it from a Mattel ownership standpoint, not a Hasbro one. I don't believe Hasbro adopted that change for their software applications.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Posts
    8,415
    Member #
    35980
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    There is the issue! You are looking at it from a Mattel ownership standpoint, not a Hasbro one. I don't believe Hasbro adopted that change for their software applications.
    its about time they did then don't you think?........it would seem brand names,places and names are now allowed,i noticed that the cpu puts names in and did wonder.
    Last edited by Poisonivy; 03-08-2012 at 12:50 PM.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,369
    Member #
    16690
    Liked
    467 times
    I decided to dig deeper into this mystery since the Scrabble app was last updated Dec 21st, 2011.

    Interesting findings. Mattel owns the Scrabble rights for just about everywhere it seems save the US. Mattel did in fact add proper nouns but only in a variant called Scrabble Trickster. Trickster hasn't been released in the US. So the Hasbro version of the game will probably never allow proper nouns on the iPhone/iPad app unless they adopt the same rules as Trickster or they produce a new app.
    Facts are the first casualty of bad information.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    1,425
    Member #
    38513
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonivy View Post
    yes it should be acceptable,going slightly OT here but it won't accept the word rape either,Rape can be a yellow crop in a field,don't think the capitalisation matters.
    We have Rape around here. It's beautiful when in full bloom.


    iHolophyte
    iHolophyte

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire,England
    Posts
    8,415
    Member #
    35980
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull One View Post
    I decided to dig deeper into this mystery since the Scrabble app was last updated Dec 21st, 2011.

    Interesting findings. Mattel owns the Scrabble rights for just about everywhere it seems save the US. Mattel did in fact add proper nouns but only in a variant called Scrabble Trickster. Trickster hasn't been released in the US. So the Hasbro version of the game will probably never allow proper nouns on the iPhone/iPad app unless they adopt the same rules as Trickster or they produce a new app.
    hmm thanks Skull,as you say interesting.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 11:30 AM
  2. want a dictionary to translate email on the fly
    By riow in forum iPhone General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 01:12 AM
  3. Kindle App 2.2 Update Adds Free Dictionary
    By Maura in forum iPhone News & Site News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 03:14 AM
  4. Way to add custom words to iPhone dictionary?
    By Warrenianbarr in forum Verizon iPhone
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 04:40 AM
  5. Unwanted words in dictionary?
    By thekilikabeast in forum iPhone Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM